Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

‘Selma’ resonates with the here and now -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Offensive struggles down UMass men’s lacrosse against St. Joseph’s

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

Massachusetts men’s lacrosse coach Greg Cannella warned his team that the St. Joseph’s team they would see on Saturday would not be the same one that they beat 15-3 last season.

Apparently his players didn’t get the message.

The Minutemen’s two-game winning streak was snapped on Saturday with a 7-6 loss to the Hawks at Finnesey Field as UMass remains winless in Colonial Athletic Association play this season.

“We got beat by a team that deserved it more than us, who wanted it more than us and I think we as a group underestimated them,” Cannella said. “It’s very disappointing on my end, I’m sure on the players’ end as well.”

The teams traded goals throughout the first half, but the Minutemen (5-5, 0-2 CAA) pulled ahead, 5-4, with 12 minutes, 8 seconds left in the third quarter on Will Manny’s 99th career goal.

However, St. Joe’s (5-6, 1-2 CAA) responded with three straight goals in the final 4:17 of the third, including a backbreaker on Michael Dougherty’s second goal of the game with two seconds left in the frame to give the Hawks a 7-5 advantage heading into the fourth quarter.

Matt Whippen cut the deficit back to one with 8:43 to play on his second tally of the day on a feed by Manny. But UMass was overwhelmed by St. Joe’s zone defense and couldn’t get the equalizer.

“They zoned us the entire game,” Cannella said. “Every possession we got zoned … we haven’t been very good against the zone.”

It was the third time this season the Minutemen faced a zone defense and the third time the offense has struggled against it. They were also zoned in losses to Brown and Penn State, but Cannella felt they actually had better scoring opportunities against the Hawks.

“We probably had more good opportunities (Saturday) then we had in those last two games maybe combined,” Cannella said. “We couldn’t finish so obviously we have to try to get better there.

“We were not good, we were very tentative and when we got the opportunities we couldn’t score.”

Grant Whiteway opened the scoring with 9:44 remaining in the first quarter. But Dougherty responded 42 seconds later with the equalizer.

With St. Joe’s leading 2-1, UMass came back furiously with goals by Whippen and Ryan Izzo in the final 43 seconds of the quarter to take a 3-2 lead.

Izzo then put the Minutemen ahead 4-3 with 9:05 remaining in the second. The sophomore used his speed to rush down field before firing one past Dustin Keen (13 saves).

However, the Hawks responded yet again and tied the score at 4 apiece on a goal by Johnny Simanski with 57 seconds left in the half.

“It seemed like the difference from the first whistle to the last was when they had good opportunities, they took advantage of them. When we did, we did not,” Cannella said.

The defense was once again strong for UMass, holding St. Joe’s scoreless in a pivotal fourth quarter. But it’s the offense that’s at the forefront of the issue.

The Minutemen have scored in double-digits just three times this season and only once in the last eight games. And with just four games left in the regular season and UMass currently on the outside looking in at the CAA playoffs, the offense will need a major turnaround to keep its tournament hopes alive.

“I think it’s sort of a reoccurring theme here, and it better be a wake-up call for the seniors and the offense,” Cannella said. “The defense has performed very well. We let up seven goals in a Division I game. We have to score in double-digits if we want any chance of winning. That’s how I look at it, that’s how you should be looking at it, that’s how our guys should be looking at it, and you have to be aggressive as you can be to get to that number.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.