Stanley Andre reflects on his career as Senior Day approaches -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass tight end Jean Sifrin mulls future, potential NFL career -

Thursday, November 27, 2014

UMass basketball trounces Northeastern 79-54 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Isenberg makes BusinessWeek’s ‘Top 50 Business Schools Nationwide’

The Isenberg School of Management at the University of Massachusetts placed 45th overall and 20th among public universities in BusinessWeek’s undergraduate program rankings last week.

Up 19 spots from last year, the ranking caps off a four-year period during which Isenberg has seen consistent improvement in its BusinessWeek ranking.

Isenberg Dean Mark Fuller believes that the University is on the path he envisioned when he became dean of the business school in 2009.

“We’ve pushed for enhancing the reputation of the school as a central part of our strategic vision,” Fuller said. “The reputation of the school will help graduates get better jobs and make better connections with alumni.”

A graduate and Ph.D. candidate at the University of Arizona, Fuller worked for the business schools at Baylor University and Washington State University before coming to UMass.  Immediately upon the start of his new position as dean, Fuller set his expectations high.

“Our goal since I came on has been to achieve a top 40 ranking for undergraduate programming,” Fuller said. “In any business you have to know what you’re striving for and focus on that goal. So once we established that goal and that vision, we tried to build programming to achieve it.”

Isenberg has gone through some major changes since 2010 when the school was ranked 78th overall

The finance major has been redesigned to include four sub-concentrations within the major that a student can choose from. The operations and information management group, formerly a track in the management major, is now its own major to educate students on technological advancements and how they apply to business. The Dean’s Leadership Seminar, a one-credit course for freshmen, is a weekly lecture that brings in successful alumni from Isenberg to give advice and help prepare students for the challenges they will face in the business world.

The changes have not been limited to in-classroom programming.

In 2011, Professor Stephen Floyd – the Eugene Isenberg Professor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship – was appointed head of the school’s campaign to raise the job recruiter satisfaction rating to within the top 20 in the nation. As of 2013, UMass ranks 13th.

While Fuller gives partial credit to programming and leadership, he states that it is the Isenberg students that are the driving force behind the school’s success and accolades.

“In my second year here, I did a branding analysis to see what the Isenberg brand was,” Fuller said. “We participated in focus groups with recruiters, alumni, faculty and current students. What we found was that the unifying qualities for Isenberg students are persistence, tenacity, and a strong work ethic. We can teach the business skills, but you can’t teach work ethic.”

“In any business, culture is extremely important,” he added, “and in the four years I’ve been here, I’ve seen a dramatic shift in the culture, starting with the students’ desire to be excellent and the faculty’s willingness to fill that desire. That’s more exciting to me than any ranking in a magazine.”

James Petroskey can be reached at jpetrosk@student.umass.edu.