UMass Lowell advances to first-ever Frozen Four

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

UMass Lowell, the No. 1 seed in the Northeast region, defeated No. 2 seed New Hampshire, 2-0, Saturday night to clinch its first-ever berth to the Frozen Four.

The River Hawks were led by freshman goaltender and Most Valuable Player Connor Hellebuyck’s 28 saves during their win Saturday in front of 8,357 at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, N.H.

After a scoreless first period, UML sophomore Scott Wilson scored with 30 seconds remaining in the second period. River Hawk junior defensemen Chad Ruhwedel fired a slap shot that was fended off by UNH sophomore goaltender Casey DeSmith. The puck bounced behind the net and was picked up by Wilson, who scored a wrap-around goal just passed DeSmith’s stick.

UML freshman Adam Chapie netted the second goal of the game that would ultimately put away the Wildcats with 13:38 remaining in the third period. After Wilson broke up a UNH shot attempt, Chapie picked up the puck, held off a Wildcat defender and put a backhander past DeSmith.

The River Hawk defense blocked 13 shots throughout the game and they kept UNH from scoring when it played with an empty night for the remaining 2:47 in the game.

UML will travel to Pittsburgh, Pa., for the program’s first-ever Frozen Four to face Yale on Thursday, April 11. The program holds three Div. II championships (1979, 1981 and 1982) but has never won the Div. I crown.

Yale shocks No. 1 North Dakota

Yale, the No. 4 seed in the West region, was one of the last teams picked in the NCAA Tournament, but on Saturday night at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids, Mich., the Bulldogs scored three goals in five minutes to come from behind in the third period to beat No. 1 seed North Dakota, 4-1, and advance to the Frozen Four.       

After falling behind early, Yale broke through at the 12:25 mark in the third period with senior Josh Balch’s goal.

The Bulldogs took their first lead of the game about three minutes later when junior Jesse Root scored a power play goal. Yale then extended its lead roughly two minutes later when freshman Stu Wilson scored off an assist from fellow freshman Anthony Day.

An empty net goal from junior Kenny Agostino with one minute remaining in the game clinched the Bulldogs’ berth to the Frozen Four.

Yale senior goaltender Jeff Malcolm ended the day with 24 saves and UND junior goalie Clarke Saunders saved 35 shots.         

The Fighting Sioux held a 1-0 lead early in the game after freshman Corbin Knight’s sharp wrister gave them the lead at the 7:22 mark in the first period.       

This will be the Bulldogs’ first-ever Frozen Four appearance as they will face UMass Lowell on Thursday, April 11.

Quinnipiac flies by Union to Frozen Four

Quinnipiac, the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament, proved why it was the top dog with a 5-1 win over No. 3 seed Union at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., on Sunday night.

Sophomore Matthew Peca was the difference-maker for the Bobcats, as his natural hat trick was the fastest ever in tournament history. He scored three goals in a three-minute, 12-second span, which was better than former Minnesota player Warren Miller, who previously held the record at four minutes, 20 seconds against Harvard on March 13, 1975.

Peca’s first goal came midway through the first period as his tip-in goal gave Quinnipiac an early 1-0 lead. About a minute later, Peca picked up the puck in the neutral zone and fired a shot just above the left faceoff area into the back of the net. His third goal of the game came on a back-hand shot after skating past a Dutchman defender.

Midway through the second period, the Bobcats increased their lead to five after goals from sophomore Jordan Samuels-Thomas and junior Kellen Jones.

The lone Union goal came on a power play goal from sophomore Daniel Ciampini with 17:45 remaining in the third period.

A night after the Dutchmen dismantled last year’s national champion Boston College, the Union offense went cold as they managed to only get off 19 shots on net against Quinnipiac senior goalie Eric Hartzell.

The Bobcats will face St. Cloud State on Thursday, April 11, in Pittsburgh, Pa., in their first-ever Frozen Four appearance.

Ryan Barry can be reached at [email protected].