Large gatherings lead to multiple alcohol-related arrests in the Amherst crime log

Dave Coffey/For the Collegian

Due to the large number of off-campus gatherings, including one on Hobart Lane, which was said to be part of the “Hobart Hoedown,” there were a number of alcohol-related arrests in Amherst this weekend.

According to the Amherst Police Department, precautions were taken for this weekend in preparation for events. Along with an increased police presence, representatives from the APD reported a number of compliance checks being utilized at area liquor marts to deter minors from purchasing alcohol.

Starting at 9:16 p.m., police responded to reports of larceny occurring at a Cathedral Apartment Building. A male gathering was reportedly observed removing furniture from the porch of one of the buildings and was apprehended by police. David Hirsch, 19, of Hampton Bays, N.Y., was arrested on charges of larceny under $250 and use of a false ID.

Less than an hour later, police arrested 20-year-old Norfolk resident Kristen Haley on charges of liquor possession under the age of 21 after she was reportedly observed placing an alcoholic beverage in her pocket.

Only a minute later, two more individuals, 18-year-old Lowell resident Guilherme Rodrigues and 18-year-old Pt. Washington, N.Y. resident Samuel Kim, were arrested on the same charges at a North Pleasant St. address.

Before Friday came to a close, three more alcohol-related arrests were made. Twenty-year-old Carver resident Corey Reed, 18-year-old West Tisbury resident Stuart Hersh, and 19-year-old Tolland, Conn. resident David Ferris were all reportedly arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21. The three arrests were made over the period of one hour at separate North Pleasant Street addresses.

Early Saturday morning, a similar arrest was made when 19-year-old Arlington resident Matthew L. Wah was reportedly seen dropping a bottle in a parking lot that was later observed to contain alcohol. Wah was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21.

Within an hour, two more individuals were arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21. The APD reportedly took both Joshua Zabilski, 20, of Beverly, and Dana Higgins, 19, of Randolph into custody.

Later the same morning, at 1:21 a.m., police responded to a noise complaint at 50 Meadow St. According to police, 40-50 people were cleared from the residence after “excessively loud music” was heard by responding officers. Resident Reed Fox, 19, of Amherst was reportedly arrested on charges of violating town bylaws for unlawful noise and nuisance house.

Less than an hour later, a vehicle was pulled over after being reportedly witnessed running a red light on North Pleasant Street. According to police, a field sobriety test was administered and 21-year-old Westborough resident Joshua Wright was arrested on charges of operating under the influence of liquor, operation of a motor vehicle to endanger and failure to stop/yield.

On Saturday afternoon, police responded to a disturbance on Hobart Lane as students reportedly gathered for the annual “Hobart Hoedown.” Over 100 people were cleared from the area and 19-year-old Chester, Conn., resident Kelly Cline was arrested on charges of possession of liquor under the age of 21.

An hour later, Amherst Police responded to a disturbance at the Townehouse Apartments. Police reportedly monitored and dispersed a crowd of over 400 people from the area. Lucas O’Conor, 19, of Lexington was reportedly arrested by police in the area on charges of possession of liquor under the age of 21.

At 4:13 p.m., police responded to a noise complaint at 200 State St. According to police, a gathering with over 20 individuals was occurring. Eighteen-year-old Haverhill resident Cameron Menter was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21 and open container.

Less than an hour later, a reported three-car accident led to the arrest of 22-year-old Taylor Estupinan. According to police, Estupinan was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle under the influence, negligent operation of a motor vehicle to endanger and a marked lanes violation.

Later the same evening, police reportedly stopped the vehicle of 22-year-old Lexington resident Raymond F. Racine III. According to police, after Racine was asked to stop his vehicle twice, the car moved forward to strike a police officer in the leg. The officer was uninjured, and Racine was arrested on charges of operating under the influence, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and operation of a motor vehicle to endanger. Another man, 22-year-old Amherst resident Steven Daloia was also reportedly arrested at the scene on charges of violating the town open container bylaw.

A motor vehicle crash on Pine Street led to the arrest of 20-year-old Haverhill resident Matthew Collins at 7:14 p.m. According to police, a silver car was reportedly seen veering off the road and eventually hit a few trees. Collins was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of a property damage accident, operating under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a motor vehicle to endanger, and failure to stop/yield.

At 11:30 p.m. the same evening, 19-year-old New York, N.Y., resident Hannah Loytner, and 19-year-old Tulsa, Okla., resident Paige Miller were both arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21. Only a few minutes later at a different address, 18-year-old Vernon, Conn., resident William K. Fish was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21 as well.

Three arrests were made early Sunday morning when police arrived at 10 Meadow St. Police arrested Aaron Raymond Pecci, 18, of Danvers and two minors, who each received a charge of possession of alcohol under the age of 21.

An hour later the same morning, police pulled over a vehicle after it was reportedly witnessed speeding and following too closely behind another vehicle. According to police, the operator showed signs of impairment and was asked to perform a field sobriety test. Briana Virginia Roy, 21, of Amherst, was arrested on charges of operating under the influence, speeding and following a vehicle too closely.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at [email protected].