Baseball Beanpot Championship Highlights -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

How UMass is rising up against student debt

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

In Massachusetts, 65 percent of students graduate with debt, owing on average a whopping $27,181 per student. The class of 2011 is the most indebted class so far, with the future of the following classes looking even more financially grim. Student loan debt has now reached $1 trillion and counting in the United States, surpassing credit card debt for the first time ever. And tuition costs continue to rise without the guarantee that the quality of education or the value of our degrees will rise along with it.

Most of us seem to have accepted a crippling amount of debt as a packaged deal with our cap and gown. While college tuitions skyrocket and household incomes continue to level off, students and their families quietly struggle to make ends meet.

In response, however, there have been no mass protests like the ones seen in Quebec, where last spring students gathered in staggering numbers to protest a five-year, 60 percent tuition hike. There seems to be no noticeable commotion here on campus concerning the debt many of us are going into in order to get an education and a job, which we desperately need to pay off the debt we accumulated trying get that job in the first place.

According to The American Prospect, youth “simply don’t have the time or energy to start innovative revolutions from scratch because they are so busy taking standardized tests and building their resumes with internships.” In “8 Reasons Young Americans Don’t Fight Back,” Bruce E. Levine, called student debt a “vicious cycle,” said that it “has a subduing effect on activism, and political passivity makes it more likely that students will accept such debt as a natural part of life.”

Although these sentiments resonate with many of us, it doesn’t mean that students are not angered by their financial situations or that there is not outrage and solidarity in our struggles—it just means that finding the time to organize might not always be easy. And although there appears to be more silence surrounding these issues in the U.S.,  there are students in our own backyard rising up and working toward change.

In fact, there are several groups here at UMass that are establishing an activist presence around issues of student debt and the cost of higher education. Groups such as Public Higher Education Network of Massachusetts (PHENOM) and Center for Education and Policy Advocacy (CEPA) are hard at work, sending letters to senators, organizing fax attacks which clog senator’s fax machines, filling their inboxes with messages asking for change and organizing events and information sessions to explain how to get involved and make our voices heard.

One group, which I have started with an advisor, called UMass Students Against Debt, is exclusively organized around the student debt crisis. With a focus on graphic art, info-graphics and signage, we use social media— everything from Facebook to Tumblr to Twitter— to make connections, spread knowledge and inspire action. Our recent endeavor, The Debt Fence, begun on April 1, includes expressions of the way UMass students feel about the debt they’ve accumulated since enrolling.

One sign reads, “UMass put me in debt. Now what?” Another, “I now pronounce you Student in Debt.” And still another, “Keep calm, carry on, and eat ramen for breakfast, lunch and dinner.”

We focus on bringing art and humor to the cause while still motivating the UMass community to speak out about the very real effects of student debt, which can hang over us for decades and even a lifetime. We are moving from URL to IRL (that is, from the Internet to real life) by organizing and bringing dialogues about student debt into classrooms and dorms where those who are affected can share their stories and realize that they are not “A-LOAN.” By providing the opportunity for a community dialogue, UMass Students Against Debt can – with your help – begin to break the silence surrounding student debt.

The first step in creating social change is being able to name the problem and have the courage to tell one’s story. Then, we can figure out what a different system would look like and find ways to generate the mass movement needed to push things forward.

We all have a voice, so send us your generation debt testimonies, your student debt mugshots, your stories, poetry and illustrations to help us break the silence. If the 65 percent of Massachusetts’s students set to graduate with debt started to share their stories, our presence could not be ignored. Those who are struggling and who are set to graduate with crippling amounts of debt are sadly in the majority – so let’s speak out together, finding support in one another and begin to demand change together instead of A-LOAN.

For more information about UMass Students Against Debt, visit facebook.com/UMassStudentDebt, studentagainstdebt.tumblr.com, twitter.com/UMassDebtPrblmz.

Lauren Vaughn is a Collegian columnist. She can be reached at lvaughn@student.umass.edu.

5 Responses to “How UMass is rising up against student debt”
  1. David Hunt 1990 says:

So do an economic analysis. Maybe going to school isn’t worth it.

OR… study something useful, not “Underwater basket weaving by transgendered persons of color”.

2. W.roundtree says:

Here at Student Debt Relief we are able to get your student loans out of default with in 4-6 weeks through several government programs you may qualify for, this will allow you to file your taxes this year and receive a monthly payment that can go as low as $25. This will clear up your credit report and you will then be able to qualify for additional finical aid please give me a call 1-855-429-9577 http://www.wehelpstudentloan.org.

3. N. says:

David, if you hadn’t graduated over two decades ago, you might realize that a college degree is basically the equivalent today of what a high school diploma was not that long ago – a ticket into the job market. And although we’ve all heard the hilarious joke about underwater basket-weaving classes (mostly in regard to Hampshire where it is much more relevant), the real issue is not simply the cost of an education but the lack of jobs. And that does indeed demand an ‘economic analysis’, although in a much broader sense than you seem to be suggesting (although let me guess, you’ll blame Obama for everything…)

4. PHENOM says:

David – An economic analysis has been done :) Economic Impact of Investment in Public Higher Education in Massachusetts. I suggest looking it through!
    http://phenomonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ash-Report-5-4-12.pdf

5. David Parker says:

Hi,

I am David, a financial writer. I write on several Financial topic like debt, loans, insurance, investment and so on.
    I came across your domain “dailycollegian.com” while searching in Google and enjoyed reading some of your articles. I just want to know do you allow outside article contribution? I would like to write for your blog on some relevant topics that is yet to cover on your blog. I will make sure that my articles will be completely unique and free to serve the purpose of your website. I do believe your readers will enjoy reading it. It will be a thrilling experience for me if my article finds a place in your blog.

I’m waiting for a confirmation from your end.

Thanks & regards
    David Parker