Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years at the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Minutemen look to clinch postseason berth Friday night -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

‘Veep’ returns to HBO in top form -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Letter: UMass should not require parking permits after 5 p.m. next year -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

With Atlantic 10s looming, UMass hosts its Pre-Conference meet -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

What the Collegian means to us… -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Fox’s new 10-part mystery show looks promising -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass takes a leap into the world of big data -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse seeks redemption for last year’s Delaware loss -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Friday’s Stand Against Racism events aim to ‘create positive change’ -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Benevolent sexism: a devil in disguise -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass Flirts opens door for anonymous romance

UMass Flirts

It can be nerve-wracking to flirt with someone you find attractive or who you have a crush on. There’s the pressure of rejection and the embarrassment of saying the wrong thing, ultimately ruining any romantic chances that you may have with the person.

Enter UMass Flirts, a Facebook page dedicated to allowing anonymous users to flirt and express their feelings about another person on campus, allowing for users to gauge a person’s reaction to being flirted with.

The page is run by junior Kiran Mullur, a biochemistry major, and sophomore Gautam Satishchandran, a biochemistry and physics dual major. A similar page at Satishchandran’s girlfriend’s college in Minnesota inspired them.

“She goes to St. Olaf’s in Minnesota and she had a St. Olaf’s flirts page,” Satishchandran said. “We were like ‘Oh, UMass doesn’t have something like that,’ so we decided why not.”

“Our original idea was to do UMass Confessions, actually, but we found out it had already been made, so we were kind of sad about that,” Mullur added. “But then we were like ‘Oh, flirts works too.’”

Satishchandran and Mullur agreed that in the end, creating the UMass Flirts page has turned out to be more fun and less vulgar than UMass Confessions.

“That’s the point of [UMass Confessions], a lot of indiscriminate posts,” Mullur said, adding that the biggest difference between the pages is that Flirts does not want to offend anyone and aims to “make people feel good about themselves.”

To submit a flirt to the page, a user clicks on a link in the description box that brings them to an anonymous submission page. After the user submits their flirt, nobody can see who it was that sent it in.

“It goes to Excel on Google,” Mullur said. “All it shows is the time of submission and the date and then the submission itself.”

Mullur and Satishchandran’s friend Hao Dang, who is no longer associated with the page, helped the two administrators to set up the anonymous submission box, as well as designing the logo for the profile picture on Facebook.

UMass Flirts receives about 30 submissions a day and the two students try to post 10 a day on the Facebook page. Mullur said that the two do not edit any posts that are submitted, but there is censorship in terms of judging what is appropriate or inappropriate to post.

“Some people may agree or disagree, but that’s sort of the perk of being the makers of the page, we can sort of decide what’s appropriate and not,” he added.

Mullur said that sometimes the page will receive messages from some of its over 2,200 fans asking for posts to be taken down because Satishchandran and himself missed an inappropriate post in their editing, but they are always respectful of people’s wishes.

“If we get three messages that are like, ‘Hey, this is offensive to me,’ then we try to get rid of it because … our whole point is to please the people,” he said.

Satishchandran said that the funniest moments are when people message the page instead of using the anonymous submission box and then the flirt is about the user who submitted it.

“It’ll be like John Smith talking about ‘John Smith is so sexy,’ and we’re like really? Is he?” Satishchandran said, adding, “No judgment though.”

Flirts is one of three UMass anonymous submission pages, along with UMass Confessions and UMass Compliments.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at pphoff@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass Flirts opens door for anonymous romance”
  1. Bob Loblaw says:

>tfw no one ever posted a flirt about you
    >yfw most people are probably writing about themselves