Out of many, one

Flowers are left at a barricade at the intersection of Boylston Street and Arlington Street on Tuesday, April 16, 2013, in Boston, Massachusetts. (Nancy Lane/Boston Herald/MCT)

My thoughts are with everyone affected by the tragedy at the Boston Marathon. Innocent people died senselessly on Monday, in our country, in this country. I feared for the safety and health of my best friend, whose sister and cousin were running in Monday’s marathon. I feared for the safety of our city, a beacon of compassion in a society all too motivated by distrust and hatred.

We do not know if this was an act of foreign terror, domestic terror, or simply a person with high school chemistry knowledge, a grudge and access to the Internet. We do not know how many people have been hurt by this attack, because the physical and mental anguish has been felt globally, especially by those of us with friends and family who live, work and love in the city of Boston.

What we do know is that three people died and over 100 people were hurt by the bombings. What we also know is that thousands of people responded in the steadfast way we, as Americans expect. Military veterans who ran the marathon in full gear pulled away barriers and debris to save the people buried below, and some of those veterans then ran to Mass. General to give blood. Marathon runners, from first-timers to the most experienced runners, ran towards the site of the bombings, not knowing whether there would be another blast and not knowing what to expect when they arrived. At a time when most people would collapse from exhaustion, they kept running toward the fresh scene of a terrorist attack to save fellow people, regardless of who they were. Love and compassion were the only ideologies on Monday.

Without regard for their health and safety, people ran towards danger. This happens every time fellow people are in danger. Whether a natural disaster or terrorist attack, first responders run into danger. They run into flames and hails of bullets every day. On what had been a calm September day in 2001, they ran into burning towers. Many of them never came back. People keep signing up to run into danger knowing they may never return because, in times of danger, we are all one, and we protect each other.

The motivation behind acts of violence from 9/11 to Oklahoma City to Boston was and will always be hatred. As a free society, we must reaffirm that the only way to combat hatred is through love and compassion.

That is what the first responders did. That is what the people of Boston did. That is what the American people did when they reached out to Boston in every way possible and when the phone lines clogged because people just wanted to know that those they love were okay.

It was amazing that most of America grieved and supported the people of Boston, but did not jump to blame anyone.  There were some news sources and social media posts promoting revenge: The New York Post’s immediate headline said 12 people had died and that a Saudi national was in custody, both statements later proven to be sensational journalism designed to evoke fear.

So let us keep the conversation focused on the acts of love and compassion that overcame the message of terror these bombs attempted to convey. Let us focus on the acts of kindness and selflessness performed by firefighters, police officers, veterans and bystanders. Let us not focus on revenge or violence but on the strong and loving spirit of America brought out only in the best and worst of times. We are one people. We are Americans. Let us not forget this too quickly, as it is our greatest strength. E pluribus unum—out of many, one.

Zac Bears is Collegian columnist and can be reached at [email protected].