“Extravaganja” event leads to multiple arrests for Amherst Police.

Due to the large turnout of attendees for the annual “Extravaganja” event this weekend, the Amherst Police Department responded to multiple calls in the downtown area.

According to an APD press release, approximately 6,000 people were estimated in attendance at the event and police listed congested parking as an issue in the downtown business district over the weekend.

While police responded to calls for medical assistance, unruly attendees and a number of traffic related issues, two arrests were made during the Saturday event.

Police apprehended Dylan Dresser, 24, of Greenfield after he was reportedly witnessed kicking and hitting passing cars on South Pleasant Street. According to police, Dresser squared off with a reporting officer and kicked the officer’s bicycle, resulting in minor damages. After a minor struggle, in which Dresser kicked the leg of an officer, causing minor injuries, he was arrested on charges of malicious destruction of property under $250, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and assault and battery on a police officer.

The subsequent arrest during the event occurred when police apprehended 24-year-old Rafael Perez of Holyoke. According to the press release, Perez was arrested on a prior warrant and charged for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute of a class D drug.

Earlier in the weekend, on Friday, police stopped the vehicle of 23-year-old Andrew D. Martin of Millis for reportedly following too closely behind another vehicle. According to police, subsequent investigations led to Martin being arrested on charges of possession of a class D drug over an ounce when marijuana was allegedly found in his possession.

Two hours later on the same evening, police made an arrest on Sunset Avenue when they reportedly witnessed 18-year-old John T. Walsh with an open container of alcohol. Walsh was arrested on charges of violating town bylaws regarding open containers and for possession of alcohol under the age of 21.

Outside of the events of “Extravaganja,” police reported 10 other arrests on Saturday, beginning with the arrest of 21-year-old Medford, N.J., resident Jacob Herr. According to police, after responding to reports of a motor vehicle that was stuck on Hobart Lane, Herr was identified as the driver. Herr reportedly appeared intoxicated and was arrested on charges of negligent operation to endanger and operating under the influence.

Only a few minutes later, police responded to a noise complaint at a North Pleasant Street apartment where parties were reportedly observed on the roof of the building. When the building’s residents were identified, one allegedly became uncooperative with police, as they explained the consequences of violating town bylaws. Resident Phillip Cassidy, 22, was arrested on charges of violating town bylaws regarding unlawful noise and for possession of a class E drug.

Later Saturday evening, police responded to reports of an erratic motor vehicle on North Pleasant Street. According to police, car occupants were witnessed throwing beer bottles from the vehicle and driving in an erratic fashion. Police pulled over the vehicle of 22-year-old Westborough resident Dion Lopez and arrested him on a warrant.

Twenty minutes later, police stopped a motor vehicle on East Pleasant Street after it was reportedly observed making an illegal U-turn in to heavy pedestrian traffic. According to police, the driver showed signs of impairment and field sobriety tests were administered. Brien Michael O’Connor, 21, of North Andover was arrested on charges of operating under the influence, operation of a motor vehicle to endanger and possession of an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle.

On Amity Street, police made the arrest of 20-year-old Melrose, N.Y., resident Sarah McGaughnea and 20-year-old Latham, N.Y., resident Christopher William Mayer. McGaughnea was arrested on charges of class B drug possession and for a false identification card while Mayer was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21, class B and E drug possession, and for possession of a false ID.

An hour later on Fearing Street, 20-year-old Lowell resident John Crowe was reportedly observed carrying an open container of Budweiser down the street. Crowe was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21 and for violating the town bylaw regarding open containers of alcohol.

Before the end of Saturday evening, three more individuals were arrested by police on alcohol-related charges in separate incidents.

Early Sunday morning, police responded to a reported motor vehicle crash on East Pleasant Street. According to police, the reported vehicle struck a pedestrian who was uninjured in the incident. Police arrested 20-year-old Sean Adams of Framingham on charges of operating under the influence, possession of alcohol under the age of 21 and operation of a motor vehicle to endanger.

The final reported arrest of the weekend occurred Sunday morning at 6 a.m., when police made a motor vehicle stop on Belchertown Road. According to police, the driver, 41-year-old Emmanuel Proust of Belchertown, was asked to perform a field sobriety test. Prost was arrested on charges of operating under the influence for his second offense, operation of a motor vehicle to endanger, class B drug possession, marked lanes violation and speeding.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at [email protected].