UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass keeps playoff hopes alive with win over Delaware

Massachusetts men’s lacrosse coach Greg Cannella has emphasized the importance of scoring in double-figures in every game all season long.

On Friday night, the Minutemen broke that mark before halftime.

Stephen Hewitt/Collegian

UMass outscored Delaware 8-2 in the second quarter and never looked back, cruising past the Blue Hens, 16-8, in front of 1,623 at Garber Field on Senior Night.

Seniors Kyle Smith and Will Manny capped off their standout careers on Garber Field in style, scoring six and four goals, respectively, and reviving the lethal one-two punch they were expected to be at the beginning of the season.

“I’ve never had a better connection with someone,” said Manny, who has been roommates with Smith for the past four years. “(Smith’s) a great finisher and he can feed the ball too. I mean, just having a threat all over the field and being able to cut and know he’s gonna feed you the ball, and when you feed him the ball you know he’s gonna put it in the back of the net.”

The Minutemen (7-7, 2-4 Colonial Athletic Association) now await Saturday night’s results as they need wins from both Penn State and Towson in order to clinch the fourth and final CAA Tournament spot.

“I’ll be watching,” Manny said. “It’s at (7 p.m. on Saturday) so it’s kind of annoying we have to wait the whole entire day, but we did what we needed to do. We won our game at home on Senior Night and defended Garber Field for the last time so that’s all we could ask for.”

Delaware (5-10, 1-5 CAA) hung around with UMass throughout the first quarter and the beginning of the second despite some bad turnovers and poor offensive execution early on. The Blue Hens cut the Minutemen’s advantage to 4-3 with 12 minutes, 1 second left in the first half when Nick Diachenko beat goalkeeper Zachary Oliveri (eight saves) with a shot from the outside.

But Joe Calvello quickly turned the momentum back in UMass’ favor. The junior won the ensuing faceoff and raced down field to find Smith in front of the net. Smith then finished the rest with a shot to beat Blue Hens goalie Conor Peaks (16 saves) at 11:55.

Leading 6-4 with 7:44 left in the first half, the Minutemen exploded with five unanswered goals, capped off by Smith’s fifth tally of the half with 3.7 seconds remaining to give UMass an 11-4 lead at intermission.

“It’s definitely how you’d like to draw it up,” Smith said. “It doesn’t always go that way, but (Friday) it did and Will was great and Grant (Whiteway, two goals) was too.”

UMass spent much of the third quarter trying to work the ball around and keep the clock moving, scoring just one goal in the period. But in the fourth, the top attack unit was at it again.

Whiteway found Smith down by the crease. Smith then fed a cutting Manny towards the cage for a one-timer to give UMass a 13-6 advantage with 14:06 left to play.

Whiteway, Smith and Manny each scored once more in the fourth to lead the Minutemen to their most lopsided win since their season-opening 16-9 win over Army on Feb. 9.

“You would love to see that instant replay throughout your 14 games,” Cannella said. “Those guys were pretty special tonight. It’s good to see, I’m happy for them.”

After losing to Drexel at home on April 13 with just two games to play, UMass appeared hopeless. But, following a pair of convincing wins to close out the regular season, UMass still has life. And Cannella, who will be down at Hofstra with assistants Doc Schneider and Brian Jacovina to scout the game against the Nittany Lions in hopes of meeting them in the CAA semifinal, couldn’t be more proud.

“Just the perseverance that the guys showed,” Cannella said. “They could’ve hung it up…our seniors and our upperclassmen did a nice job of keeping our guys together and continue to have them work hard, so you have to be proud of that.”

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.