Amherst Police dish out multiple arrests for noise violations at semester’s close

Stephen Treat/Collegian File Photo

Officers from the Amherst Police Department were on alert this weekend and broke up a number of parties, arresting the residents of three locations in response to town by law violations.

The first arrest of the weekend began at the very start of Saturday morning, when police arrested 18-year-old Burlington resident Derek Skinner on charges of violating a town by law regarding open containers of alcohol and for possession of alcohol as a minor.

Thirty minutes later, police responded to a noise complaint in the Townehouse Apartments. According to police, loud noises were heard from the location and police took three of the residents in to custody. David Nicholas Orlando, 21, John Rolfe, 22 and Joshua Davis, 22, all of Westborough, were arrested on charges of violating a town by law regarding unlawful noise.

Five minutes later in the Townehouse Apartments, police responded to a disturbance reported by location security. According to police, 21-year-old Amherst resident Conor Eagan was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct after allegedly throwing a beer can at the ground in the vicinity of area security, splashing them with its contents.

Less than a half hour later, police made an arrest on South Whitney Street, where North Easton resident Charles Sherman Hourihan Jr., 21, was arrested on charges of violating a town by law regarding open containers of alcohol and for disorderly conduct.

One hour later the same morning, the first vehicle-related arrest was made when police stopped the vehicle of 21-year-old Boxborough resident Cecilia Jean Jenson. According to police, Jenson was arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, operation of a motor vehicle to endanger and for a marked lanes violation.

Saturday morning at approximately 10 a.m., police responded to a reported shoplifter at the Amherst Big Y on University Drive. The shoplifter was reportedly held in the store manager’s office and was apprehended by police. Evan Lee Briand, 25, of Amherst was arrested on charges of concealing merchandise and shoplifting by asportation.

Later on the same day at 4 p.m., police broke up a party of approximately 300 guests at a North Pleasant Street address. According to police, three arrests were made on separate charges, Ryan Amory Morrison of Northport, N.Y., Jacqueline Pollock of Yardley, Penn., and Caroline Hatch Bernier of Essex were all arrested by police at the location.

Between 4:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., four subsequent arrests occurred regarding alcohol-related charges.

At 9:30 p.m., police stopped the vehicle of 21-year-old Paul Braman of Sunderland. Braman was arrested by police on charges of selling/delivering liquor to people under the age of 21 while his two passengers, a minor and 20-year-old Danielle Wheeler of Huntington, were both arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21.

At 10 p.m., police responded to noise complaints at 62 Summer Street. According to police, loud music and voices could be heard from the vicinity and the location’s residents were taken in to custody. Alan Scardapane, 21, of Amherst, Devin Dondero, 21, of Plymouth, Richard Duddy, 21, of Plymouth, John Doherty, 20, of Weymouth, Stephen Sellner, 21, of North Attleboro – who also serves as Co-Sports Editor of The Massachusetts Daily Collegian – and Jesse Kummer, 20, of North Attleboro were all arrested on charges of violating town by law regarding unlawful noise.

Later in the evening, Erich Khan, 20, of Millbury was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21.

At 11:49 p.m. the same evening, another noise complaint led to police breaking up a party at a North East Street apartment. According to police, a large party was observed with a live band present in the basement. Three of the location’s residents, 22-year-old Christina Anderson, 21-year-old Morgan Dugan, and 21-year-old Thayer Dugan, all Nantucket residents, were arrested by police.

Meanwhile, police made a motor vehicle stop in front of Puffton Village after the car was observed reportedly driving without lights. The driver, Brieanna Arsenault, 18, of Wilbraham was arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and for a motor vehicle lights violation. Her three passengers, a 17-year old minor, 18-year-old Jason Morris of Springfield, and 18-year-old Nathaniel Gonzalez of Springfield were all arrested on charges of possession of alcohol under the age of 21.

Early Sunday morning, police responded to a report of suspicious behavior at a North Pleasant Street address. They reportedly observed a man urinating on the sidewalk with little discretion. Police arrested 23-year-old Cumberland R.I., resident Michael Rodriguez on charges of disorderly conduct.

Only a few minutes later, police responded to a disturbance at a Townehouse Apartments bus stop. According to police, a man was observed running in to traffic before reportedly blocking a driveway and preventing its residents from leaving. Cameron McCarthy, 19, of Weymouth was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct.

At 1 a.m., police reportedly made an arrest in front of Alpha Tau Gamma after allegedly observing a man urinating on a tree. The man was out in the open and reportedly attempted to pull away from officers during the arrest, continuing to resist officers who attempted to intervene. Jacob Dennis, 20, of Sharon was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Only 20 minutes later, police responded to a disturbance at Amherst Cinema. According to police, a man was observed walking across the street before blocking an oncoming car. He reportedly smashed the car’s window and was apprehended by police. Matthew Lane, 23, of Medford was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and vandalizing property.

Five minutes later at the High Horse, police reportedly responded to a disturbance involving two men. According to police, a fight broke out at the location and police arrested Dominick Ferrante, 20, of Shelburne Falls and Tyson Dowdy, 22, of Greenfield on charges of disorderly conduct.

The weekend’s final arrest occurred when police responded to a disturbance at a North Pleasant Street address. According to police, the caller stated that a male and female were seen at the address and the male party had reportedly struck the female party. When police arrived, they were told the man allegedly kicked the woman and he was then placed under arrest. Nicolas Brassard, 35, of Montreal, Quebec, was arrested on charges of assault and battery (domestic) and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at [email protected].