New online training helps students transition to off-campus housing

Chelsea Powell/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts recently developed an online training program to help educate students as they transition from living on campus to finding off-campus housing, according to a press release.

Since April 5, students have had the ability to take the Moving Off Campus Online Web-based Learning (OWL) assessment, in which they learn and are tested on the basics of living outside of a college campus, according to the release. Following completion of the online assessment, students earn a certificate which is documented on the University’s Housing and Community Resources website, allowing landlords to have the ability to search for names of potential tenants at umocss.org to see if they have successfully completed the training.

“We have been conducting workshops on this subject, but this online program will allow us to reach many more students,” Associate Dean of Students David Vallaincourt said. “Over time, we expect completion of this training will become part of a landlord’s evaluation of an application for a rental.”

According to the press release, the OWL is organized into eight different sections that inform students on a variety of subjects such as how to find a renting unit, apply for and recognize the legal issues of signing a lease, find roommates and understand the basics of personal and fire safety.

The training program was made possible by local landlords and apartment managers, the Dean of Students Office, Off Campus Housing Services, Student Legal Services, the Office of Information Technology and the Campus and Community Coalition to Reduce High-Risk Drinking, according to the release. UMass spokesman Ed Blaguszewski added that in discussing what topics to include in the OWL, the Dean of Students Office knew what subjects would be best to cover, since they are experienced in knowing what students are going through as they make the switch to off-campus housing.

“They are pretty familiar with the transition students go through, and the issues that they encounter as they look for apartments, and are living with and interacting with the community,” Blaguszewski said.

According to the release, the OWL also covers topics such as how to be a good neighbor and how to live in an environment with students, non-students and families, as well as the basics of the state and local laws.

“There have been some issues with student behavior in town and concerns about that,” Blaguszewski said. “We think this is a way to help students understand what their rights, as well as their responsibilities, are.”.

He added that the OWL is designed to be engaging, prompting students to read the material presented to them and then be quizzed on it.

“It’s not a matter of you read it, then you click, ‘I read it,’ and not have any interaction,” Blaguszewski said of the OWL assessment format. “It tries to get you to make sure you understand what you read.”

According to the release, the program is designed to help students, “become more responsible and successful tenants.” Blaguszewski added that because half of UMass undergraduate students live off campus, this program is a valuable resource.

“There’s a lot to navigate in terms of what to look for in an apartment, how to work with your landlord to know what your rights are and to learn how to be a member of a broader community outside of living on campus,” Blaguszewski said. “And that’s part of the transition of becoming more independent.”

Jaclyn Bryson can be reached at [email protected].