John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

UMass tennis team battles injuries as season comes to an end -

Sabia leads the charge on offense for the Minutewomen

After the Massachusetts field hockey team lost its top three goal scorers to graduation last year, there was much speculation about who would step up for the team on offense.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Three games into this season, the team seems to have found a player who can lead the attack. Sophomore midfielder Brooke Sabia recorded her second straight multi-goal game of the season on Tuesday against UMass Lowell, bringing her season total up to a team-leading four goals.

Coming off of a two-goal performance against Michigan, where she scored both the tying and winning goals, Sabia got the scoring started for the Minutewomen (3-0) against the River Hawks.

In the eighth minute of the first period, after her first shot was saved by UMass Lowell goalie Melanie Hopkins, Sabia got the rebound and chipped a shot over Hopkins’ head and into the net to put UMass on the board.

Twenty-three minutes in, Sabia scored her second goal of the game when she flicked a penalty corner shot past Hopkins to give the Minutewomen a 2-0 lead, with Charlotte Verelst and Alexa Sikalis providing the assists. UMass would go on to defeat the River Hawks by a score of 6-0.

After posting just one goal and four assists in her freshman season, Sabia said she worked hard during the preseason to improve her offensive skills so that she could take on more of a leadership role.

“I feel as if there’s always going to be someone that’s going to be coming in and taking other people’s spots,” Sabia said. “I feel like … it’s my turn and also some of my other teammates’ turns to take in that (leadership) role, and when I leave, when they leave, it’s going to be the underclassmen’s turn as well.”

Coach Carla Tagliente said that Sabia has already started to show leadership qualities on the field through the first three games of the season.

“She’s shown glimpses of real brilliance on the field, and she’s put in more consistent performances,” Tagliente said. “You see her in flurries really produce in the offensive end, and you saw that (against UMass Lowell), and the key is just to get her to consistently do that over the span of the minutes that she plays.”

UM defense with another strong game

While the UMass offense was able to put up six goals against the River Hawks, the defense recorded its first shutout of the season, not surrendering a single shot.

After a 2012 season where the team gave up an average of 1.69 goals per game, making them No. 22 in the nation, the defense continues to look strong this year, averaging one goal allowed per game through their first three contests.

“We’ve started strong as a unit. It’s not just the back three or the back five people, it’s a collective effort of all 11 on the field,” Tagliente said. “I think our pressing’s gotten better with the strikers and midfield and the backs, and it really starts up at the front, but I think collectively, all together, everyone’s individual pressure on the ball has been really great.”

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at jmayfiel@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter at @jgms88.