Micheletto apologizes to fans, aims to regroup following 11-1 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vermont throttles UMass hockey 11-1 -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass guard Trey Davis: ‘There’s a lot coming at me right now’ -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass ‘big four’ neutralized by Notre Dame in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass basketball can’t corral Grant, Irish in 81-68 loss -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Frustration haunts Minutemen in 5-3 loss to Boston College -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey drops 5-3 decision to No. 12 Boston College Friday night -

Saturday, November 22, 2014

UMass hockey prepares for nationally ranked Hockey East foes BC, Vermont -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Food scientist proposes way to improve health via breast milk -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons shine in ‘Whiplash’ -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Masculinity: A feminist’s perspective -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball uses size and speed en route to its first win against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why Melissa McBride is the best actor on television -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

‘Gienie’ in a bottle: Patriots, Browns, and Seahawks highlight week 12 picks -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass women’s basketball secures first victory of the season against Maine -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Revisiting ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy as the final installment looms -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Establishing the rules of classroom attendance -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

UMass hockey’s Troy Power reflects as his 100th career game approaches -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sophomore swimmer Meriza Werenski excelling in increased role -

Thursday, November 20, 2014

SGA senator plans survey on bigotry -

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sabia leads the charge on offense for the Minutewomen

After the Massachusetts field hockey team lost its top three goal scorers to graduation last year, there was much speculation about who would step up for the team on offense.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

Three games into this season, the team seems to have found a player who can lead the attack. Sophomore midfielder Brooke Sabia recorded her second straight multi-goal game of the season on Tuesday against UMass Lowell, bringing her season total up to a team-leading four goals.

Coming off of a two-goal performance against Michigan, where she scored both the tying and winning goals, Sabia got the scoring started for the Minutewomen (3-0) against the River Hawks.

In the eighth minute of the first period, after her first shot was saved by UMass Lowell goalie Melanie Hopkins, Sabia got the rebound and chipped a shot over Hopkins’ head and into the net to put UMass on the board.

Twenty-three minutes in, Sabia scored her second goal of the game when she flicked a penalty corner shot past Hopkins to give the Minutewomen a 2-0 lead, with Charlotte Verelst and Alexa Sikalis providing the assists. UMass would go on to defeat the River Hawks by a score of 6-0.

After posting just one goal and four assists in her freshman season, Sabia said she worked hard during the preseason to improve her offensive skills so that she could take on more of a leadership role.

“I feel as if there’s always going to be someone that’s going to be coming in and taking other people’s spots,” Sabia said. “I feel like … it’s my turn and also some of my other teammates’ turns to take in that (leadership) role, and when I leave, when they leave, it’s going to be the underclassmen’s turn as well.”

Coach Carla Tagliente said that Sabia has already started to show leadership qualities on the field through the first three games of the season.

“She’s shown glimpses of real brilliance on the field, and she’s put in more consistent performances,” Tagliente said. “You see her in flurries really produce in the offensive end, and you saw that (against UMass Lowell), and the key is just to get her to consistently do that over the span of the minutes that she plays.”

UM defense with another strong game

While the UMass offense was able to put up six goals against the River Hawks, the defense recorded its first shutout of the season, not surrendering a single shot.

After a 2012 season where the team gave up an average of 1.69 goals per game, making them No. 22 in the nation, the defense continues to look strong this year, averaging one goal allowed per game through their first three contests.

“We’ve started strong as a unit. It’s not just the back three or the back five people, it’s a collective effort of all 11 on the field,” Tagliente said. “I think our pressing’s gotten better with the strikers and midfield and the backs, and it really starts up at the front, but I think collectively, all together, everyone’s individual pressure on the ball has been really great.”

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at jmayfiel@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter at @jgms88.