UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fight for college affordability continues -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

U.S. News ranks UMass among top 30 public universities -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Battling arguments -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tim McGraw comes back strong in ‘Sundown Heaven Town’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

No arrests made at UMass Homecoming tailgate and game -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Alt-J diversifies and grows in ‘This Is All Yours.’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FSU holds off the Wolfpack while Hill leads the Aggies to an overtime victory -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UPDATE: UMass Police Department and Student Affairs officials to conduct review of confidential informant policy -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass men’s soccer shut out by UNH, 1-0, on Sunday -

Monday, September 29, 2014

The best ways to decorate your dorm room -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass needs to actively combat sexual assault -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Northwestern District Attorney’s office hosts National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Students celebrate return of UMass football with tailgate festivities -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Stacey Bedell ready to compete with best in college football

MCT

Stacey Bedell’s competitiveness doesn’t just stay on the football field.

It carries over to the virtual world as well.

The running back for the Massachusetts football team often spends his free time playing video games – football games, such as NCAA Football or Madden, of course – with close friend and teammate Tajae Sharpe.

The wide receiver usually gets the better of Bedell. But he’s always back for another round.

“He beats me a couple of times, but I don’t give up, I keep trying,” Bedell said. “He’s a little better than me right now.”

It’s that kind of competitive drive that turned Bedell from a medical redshirt after breaking his collarbone two games into his freshman season in 2012 to becoming the Minutemen’s starting running back this season.

Bedell overcame the challenge of having to sit and watch his team play by turning the situation into a valuable learning tool. In that time, not only was he in the weight room physically preparing himself to play again, but he was also learning what it takes to be a college football player.

“When you make the transition from high school to college there’s a lot of things. Really every aspect is different,” UMass running backs coach Roderick Plummer said. “With him being someone that’s really smart, he picks up on things quickly. But really there’s steps to take every day at this level, especially when you’re a freshman at this level for the first time.”

Some of those steps included pass-blocking, route running and just learning how to play in UMass’ offensive system. So when projected starter Jordan Broadnax, whom he said is like a big brother to him, went down with an ankle injury in training camp, Bedell was immediately ready to fill in for his mentor.

First experience

Bedell fulfilled a dream last Saturday when he made his first collegiate start against Wisconsin in front of over 75,000 people at Camp Randall Stadium.

Bedell said that he had butterflies the week leading up to the game, but once Saturday came he was as confident as ever. His coaches could see it as well.

“He’s a confident young man,” Plummer said. “I expected him to jump in with both feet. I knew this was something he’s been looking forward to for a long time.

“We just talked about continuing to improve. I think he was anticipating being the starter. It’s something he’s wanted to do since he’s been here.”

Though Broadnax couldn’t practice, he was there throughout the week to work with his teammates and help them prepare for the game. Before kickoff, Broadnax sent all the running backs, including Bedell, a text message to encourage them and motivate them.

From there, it was go time.

Bedell finished the game with 70 yards on 19 carries and a fumble before being pulled in the second half for Lorenzo Woodley in a 45-0 loss to the Badgers.

UMass coach Charley Molnar said after the game that we hadn’t seen Bedell at his best yet, and after watching the film noticed that he was hesitant to react to his reads at the line of scrimmage.

Molnar did, however, give Bedell the benefit of the doubt because of his lack of experience.

“He hasn’t really had consecutive carries since high school,” Molnar said. “He never got into a rhythm or a flow like he had to this past Saturday.”

Like any competitor, Bedell was far from satisfied.

“Even though it was my first collegiate start I feel like I could’ve played a little better than I did in the game, but I can’t go back and erase my mistakes now, so now it’s time to move on and focus on Maine,” he said.

Mirror images

It’s only fitting that one of Bedell’s favorite NFL players is Adrian Peterson.

The Minnesota Vikings running back battled his way back to the playing field just nine months after getting surgery to repair a torn ACL and LCL in his left knee in December 2011, and went on to run for over 2,000 yards and earn Most Valuable Player honors in 2012.

Though Peterson’s case may be extreme compared to Bedell’s, the UMass running back draws inspiration from his work ethic and perseverance.

“I know he’s a hard worker,” he said of Peterson. “He’ll never give up on something he wants and he just works hard on the field.”

Growing up, Bedell’s favorite player was LaDainian Tomlinson when the running back played for the Chargers from 2001 to 2009. Bedell wore No. 21 at William Floyd High School in Long Island, N.Y., where he was an All-State player who ran for 2,562 yards and 39 touchdowns as a senior in 2011.

Nowadays, there’s Peterson. But the player he most mirrors his game after now is San Francisco 49ers tailback LaMichael James because he believes they have a similar skill set.

“LaMichael James (has) a lot of speed, quick cuts and moves just like me,” Bedell said.

Best to come

Plummer said that football players make the most progress from their first to their second start. And he’s hopeful that will be the case with Bedell on Saturday when the Minutemen host Maine at Gillette Stadium.

It appears Bedell, Molnar and teammates feel the same way, and if what they all say holds true,, watch out.

“On the field I think he’s electrifying,” Sharpe said. “He could break at any moment. He’s fast, he’s very humble and he’s patient.”

“If he’s at his best he has the opportunity to make big plays,” Plummer said. “That would be the thing that I’m looking forward to is him getting an opportunity in the open field and really show that he’s elusive.

“He has the opportunity to hit another gear and be tough to tackle in the open field and that gives us an opportunity to put some points on the board.”

Bedell’s a humble player who is hesitant to talk about his personal goals, so he won’t touch on his future too often. But he expects nothing short of major improvements on Saturday, and that’s his only focus.

And it seems he’d like to make some improvements with a controller in his hands as well.

“He’s definitely the same guy on and off the field,” Sharpe said. “He gets a little more animated, though, playing video games.”

Just a competitor doing what he does best.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.