City and Colour kicks off tour at Calvin Theatre

Dallas Greene’s haunting melodies from his fourth and most recent album “The Hurry and the Harm” have sprung effortlessly from the record to the stage on his current tour as City and Colour. As the former lead singer and guitarist of the post-hardcore band Alexisonfire, he has channeled his energy into a different genre of music.

p.m.w/ Flickr

City and Colour has been creating and performing music for the past eight years. The band gained notoriety after their song “Northern Wind,” which had yet to be released from their “Little Hell” album, premiered on the Valentine’s Day episode of “One Tree Hill” circa 2011.

The Canadian pop folk band spent the summer touring European cities and performing at multiple music festivals in British Columbia and the UK. Now, the United States has opened its doors to the bittersweet sounds of Greene’s new album, throughout which the band’s acoustic folk sound blossomed, especially in tracks like “Commentators” and “Two Coins.”

Greene has decided to begin his tour of the United States in Northampton this upcoming Friday, Sept. 13 at the Calvin Theatre. Friday night kicks off the beginning of a cross country tour which will continue until mid-November.

The new album expands upon the band’s sound while garnering a further understanding as to what Greene is hoping to express with his music. The band began nine years ago, launching their first full-length album “Sometimes” in 2005 in the United States, after their 2004 EP “Simple Songs,” which was only released in Canada.

“Sometimes” was originally only found on the internet or at live shows, but due to overwhelming demand, the tracks were released to a studio in order to produce an album. The songs “Like Knives,” “Save your Scissors” and “Comin’ Home” are poignantly known and familiar. The stories of lost love and scars that never fade haunt Greene’s songs, and serve as the emotional crosses that we all must bear at one point in our lives.

His later albums “Bring Me Your Love,” which was released in 2008, and “Little Hell,” which was released in 2011, a mere two years ago, were a precise articulation of the talent Greene has in translating his emotions into his music. “Bring Me Your Love” grants a deeper view into Greene’s personal life, with songs such as “Waiting” and “As Much as I Ever Could.” As the end of the album states – “no I am not where I belong, so shine a light to guide me home” –you find yourself connecting with Greene’s words and understanding the need for guidance to where we truly belong.

“Little Hell,” the prelude to his most recent album, seemed to follow along the same path of his previous albums, although including various instruments alongside his acoustic guitar. “Little Hell” spoke of love that knew no bounds with the song “We Found Each Other in the Dark”, while the track “Silver and Gold” embraced the common inner fear of losing all those we love.

All of their albums seem to push City and Colour to the kind of pop folk band they have made themselves out to be. The band’s sound will bounce fluidly across the Calvin Theatre as the melodies of “The Hurry and the Harm” are performed on Sept. 13. Tickets will be sold at $30 dollars in advance, or $35 at the door.

Deirdre Cedrone can be reached at [email protected].