BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass field hockey continues dominance on offense

Despite losing several leading scorers from last year to graduation, the Massachusetts field hockey team hasn’t lost a beat offensively.

UMass has tallied 18 goals on 88 shots through the first five games of the season, 59 of which have been on goal.

Robert Rigo/Daily Collegian

Sophomore Brooke Sabia has led the Minutewomen (5-0) this season with seven goals so far. UMass is averaging 3.6 goals per game while allowing just one per game defensively.

UMass coach Carla Tagliente has attributed this great start not just to the recent performances of Sabia, but to efforts of the entire team.

“I think it’s a very collective effort and not just one line in particular,” Tagliente said. “Getting second and third shots has been key for us and we are improving on a lot of our opportunities as well as getting a lot more shots than we usually do.”

There has certainly been no shortage of shots for Tagliente’s squad, which is averaging 17.6 shots a game. She believes the pressure her defense has put on other teams has led to better chances for her offense.

“It’s definitely a joint effort starting with all of our defensive pressing on the other teams, which has caused us to generate more turnovers and get more chances in the offensive zone,” Tagliente said.

Another key component for this UMass offense has been the considerable amount of depth that is on the bench, which has benefited the Minutewomen greatly in close games.

“There isn’t much of a drop off in talent when going to the bench, so being able to substitute and keep up that high level of pressure and high level of skill is really great to see,” Tagliente said.

With the season in the early stages, the Minutewomen have already played five freshmen in every game, including Izzie Delario and Charlotte Verelst, who have started every game. In terms of whether or not the offensive approach has changed over the past year, Tagliente sees little difference.

“I wouldn’t say we changed our style a ton, although we do have different personnel, so we’re just trying to get better at our approach,” Tagliente said. “It’s almost like it’s a five-step process to achieve something we’re trying to do, and we’ve really been on steps one and two for the past two years, so I feel this year we’ve been able to improve and get to steps three and four of the process.”

With two tough games coming up this weekend against Syracuse and Ohio State in New York, UMass hopes to maintain this success on the offense and make sure they do not let off the gas pedal.

“I think we’re generating a lot of opportunities and counterattacks, but I still think we need to increase the production of what we’re getting in the circle,” Tagliente said. “We are generating a lot of shots, but we need to capitalize more on our counterattack opportunities.”

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@umass.edu.