Blog Post: What the FAC -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutemen to host Hartford in home opener

The start of the season was far from ideal for the Massachusetts men’s soccer team. But a return home could be just what the team needs to finally crack into the win column.

After going winless in their season-opening four-game road trip, the Minutemen (0-3-1) turn their attention to Hartford in their home opener at Rudd Field on Wednesday.

“It’s always nice to play at home, so we’re looking forward to it,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “More than anything, we’re looking forward to playing the next game, since we’ve been improving over our last few games.”

Taylor Snow/Daily Collegian

During the road trip, UMass squared off against four tough opponents: Evansville, Bradley, New Hampshire and Vermont, but only managed a single draw in its first game before losing the next three.

On top of that, the Minutemen only recorded two goals in all four games, both scored in their last game, a 3-2 loss at Vermont. Although one of the goals UMass allowed against the Catamounts was an own goal, Koch says the other two were due to a lack of focus by his team.

“The two other goals, we just, unfortunately, fell asleep,” he said. “One was late in the first half where we just weren’t set and ready, which is poor game management on our part, where we just didn’t get our number back fast enough and thought it was halftime before it was.

“The second goal, we just got caught out of position on the one area of their game that we warned each other about, which was the counter attack … and for a split second, we fell asleep.”

Now the Minutemen can put the road behind them and focus on taking care of business at home.
Despite the recent down years for UMass, Rudd Field can be a tough place for any opponent to play. Last year, the Minutemen earned four of their five wins of the season at home.

The stakes on Wednesday are higher than a normal game, however: ending a losing streak is on the line.
UMass hasn’t beaten Hartford since 2007, having lost their last four meetings. But that misfortune is behind the team now.
“It doesn’t matter who we’re playing, we want to beat them,” Koch said. “Do we have a personal vendetta against Hartford? I wouldn’t say so. … We’re a young team and a lot of our team doesn’t even know who Hartford is. … I wouldn’t say it’s a grudge match or anything like that, more than it’s the next match.”

There is light on the horizon for the UMass team, because heading into the home opener for the Minutemen is the play of freshman goalkeeper Nick Ruiz. Despite allowing a season-high three goals against Vermont, Ruiz has backed his team in every game.
Through his first four games as a college starter, Ruiz has played every minute for UMass, posting a solid 0.848 save percentage and very respectable 1.17 goals against average. His play in net earned him Atlantic 10 Men’s Soccer Rookie of the Week honors last week and has made him the backbone of a relatively young defensive group.

“There’s no question that he’s done very well,” Koch said. “The first weekend, he handled a lot of shots, but I give credit to his back four in front of him that they did a good job of making a lot of the shots very predictable, which made it easier for him.”
Kickoff for Wednesday’s home opener is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. at Rudd Field.

Free Giveaways

Hartford-based radio station WKSS is teaming up with Comcast to do a live remote broadcast from Rudd Field for Wednesday’s game. Fans in attendance will have a chance to win prizes, including drawstring bags, sunglasses, CDs, DVDs, water bottles and many more giveaways.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter at @MDC_Strohecker.