Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

Report: A.J. Doyle named UMass starting quarterback for Saturday

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

It’s officially Doyle time on the Massachusetts football team.

UMass coach Charley Molnar said Wednesday after practice that A.J. Doyle will start at quarterback for the Minutemen instead of Mike Wegzyn on Saturday night at Kansas State, according to MassLive.com.

“We just felt like maybe a change would energize our offense,” Molnar said, according to MassLive.com. “(Doyle) brings a totally different mood to the team (and) a totally different personality, which is awesome.

“We’ve got two distinctly different guys. Right now, we just felt like, based on some of the things we saw in the video, even though it wasn’t by any stretch a winning performance by him, that he put himself in a position to play.”

Doyle came in for Wegzyn for the entire second half of UMass’ 24-14 loss to Maine on Saturday and completed 7-of-17 passes for 62 yards and a touchdown.

Doyle dealt with an injury during the bulk of spring practice and training camp, according to MassLive.com, which Molnar said put him at a disadvantage in the quarterback competition with Wegzyn.

Now that Doyle’s healthy, Molnar said his performance has improved.

“It’s not that Mike’s has gone down, it’s just that A.J. has improved,” Molnar said.

Doyle’s lone collegiate start came in last year’s season finale in the Minutemen’s 42-21 loss to Central Michigan.

Molnar said that Wegzyn was a little “excitable” and simply wasn’t a right fit at the moment, according to MassLive.com. His numbers so far this season certainly back that up.

Wegzyn has completed just 45.8 percent of his passes and has thrown two interceptions to one touchdown in his two starts.

Doyle, on the other hand, brings more of a calming presence to the offense, Molnar said.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.

You must be logged in to post a comment.