UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

Report: A.J. Doyle named UMass starting quarterback for Saturday

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

It’s officially Doyle time on the Massachusetts football team.

UMass coach Charley Molnar said Wednesday after practice that A.J. Doyle will start at quarterback for the Minutemen instead of Mike Wegzyn on Saturday night at Kansas State, according to MassLive.com.

“We just felt like maybe a change would energize our offense,” Molnar said, according to MassLive.com. “(Doyle) brings a totally different mood to the team (and) a totally different personality, which is awesome.

“We’ve got two distinctly different guys. Right now, we just felt like, based on some of the things we saw in the video, even though it wasn’t by any stretch a winning performance by him, that he put himself in a position to play.”

Doyle came in for Wegzyn for the entire second half of UMass’ 24-14 loss to Maine on Saturday and completed 7-of-17 passes for 62 yards and a touchdown.

Doyle dealt with an injury during the bulk of spring practice and training camp, according to MassLive.com, which Molnar said put him at a disadvantage in the quarterback competition with Wegzyn.

Now that Doyle’s healthy, Molnar said his performance has improved.

“It’s not that Mike’s has gone down, it’s just that A.J. has improved,” Molnar said.

Doyle’s lone collegiate start came in last year’s season finale in the Minutemen’s 42-21 loss to Central Michigan.

Molnar said that Wegzyn was a little “excitable” and simply wasn’t a right fit at the moment, according to MassLive.com. His numbers so far this season certainly back that up.

Wegzyn has completed just 45.8 percent of his passes and has thrown two interceptions to one touchdown in his two starts.

Doyle, on the other hand, brings more of a calming presence to the offense, Molnar said.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.