Bowl Weekend set to be ‘very successful’ -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Win-and-in situation looms for UMass men’s lacrosse against Delaware -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Brewed of the Gods – Dogfish Head Theobroma -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Never again, never forget: Remembering the Armenian genocide -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse prepares for final two regular season games -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Food of the World: Vietnam -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Indie duo The Both to perform at Pearl Street -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

USDA grants awarded to UMass faculty -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

UMass baseball team heads to Bronx for three-game set vs. Fordham -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Workout on the Quad comes to UMass -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Time to reconsider ‘war on terror’ -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

UMass men’s lacrosse has received solid play from freshmen all year -

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Renowned rabbi discusses the role of religion in American policy -

UMass baseball haunted by missed opportunities in 8-5 loss -

‘Transcendence’ a fumbling cautionary tale -

Freedom of speech for campus employees -

‘Veep’ continues to be one of the smartest comedies around -

‘Noah’ a sinking ship -

Letter: A response to ‘There is nothing to debate about global warming’ -

Push for punishment equality -

Power-pop wonder Fountains of Wayne to hit Iron Horse

This Thursday night, Sept. 26, legendary New York power-pop band Fountains of Wayne will kick off their three week, 18-show tour that spans from the East Coast to the Midwest at the Iron Horse Music Hall in Northampton. As one of only two gigs on their tour that do not include Soul Asylum and Evan Dando, their touring openers, this show serves as a warm-up for the band before they hit the road with a stacked bill.

coffee is for closers/ Flickr

Fountains of Wayne take a unique approach to guitar-pop, as many of their songs deal with topics such as travel, transportation and suburban life. Their lyrics are often somewhat tongue-in-cheek and are served with a dose of irony or humor, allowing them to stand out within their genre. With that being said, the band has proven itself to be equally great at making serious, beautiful ballads. The band is on the road again to promote “Sky Full of Holes,” their fifth album, released in July 2011.

The band’s two singer-songwriters, Chris Collingwood and Adam Schlesinger, first played together in various bands during their four years at Williams College. After going their separate ways for a few years, the two regrouped in New York City in 1996.

Naming themselves Fountains of Wayne after a local lawn ornament store, the duo recruited guitarist Jody Porter and drummer Brian Young and quickly signed with Atlantic Records, until late 1999.

Their self-titled debut, a treasure trove of fantastic, high-energy, hook-filled songs, brought the band some brief commercial success. The group gained some more critical acclaim with Schlesinger’s Academy Award nomination for writing the hit title track for the film “That Thing You Do!” in 1996 and eventually for their 2003 record “Welcome Interstate Managers.”

The album’s first single was “Stacy’s Mom,” a hit song the band wrote as a tribute to classic power-pop band the Cars. With its retro sound, gigantic hooks and unforgettable chorus, “Stacy’s Mom” was a massive success. Critically lauded yet again, the album was a major commercial break for the band, thanks to the runaway success of its massively popular single.

Although they have not come close to landing another hit as big as “Stacy’s Mom,” the band’s two subsequent albums, 2007’s “Traffic and Weather” and “Sky Full of Holes,” have both given the band career-high chart positions. This steady build in sales is indicative of a growing appreciation for the band’s perfectionist approach. Fountains of Wayne are brilliantly adept at trimming all the fat they can off of songs, leaving behind only the basics of pop rock

“Sky Full of Holes” is the band’s darkest album to date, portraying a raw and serious attitude, much different than their earlier and more playful records. Their latest album has alienated some critics and fans who prefer their spunky power-pop to their more somber ballads. That being said, it also shows another talented side of the performers who are often thought of as one-hit wonders.

Fountains of Wayne will bring 15 years and five album’s worth of catchy pop-rock to the Iron Horse this Thursday. They will be joined by opening act School for the Dead. Tickets are available for $25 in advance, or $28 at the door.

Jackson Maxwell can be reached at jlmaxwell@umass.edu.