Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Power-pop wonder Fountains of Wayne to hit Iron Horse

This Thursday night, Sept. 26, legendary New York power-pop band Fountains of Wayne will kick off their three week, 18-show tour that spans from the East Coast to the Midwest at the Iron Horse Music Hall in Northampton. As one of only two gigs on their tour that do not include Soul Asylum and Evan Dando, their touring openers, this show serves as a warm-up for the band before they hit the road with a stacked bill.

coffee is for closers/ Flickr

Fountains of Wayne take a unique approach to guitar-pop, as many of their songs deal with topics such as travel, transportation and suburban life. Their lyrics are often somewhat tongue-in-cheek and are served with a dose of irony or humor, allowing them to stand out within their genre. With that being said, the band has proven itself to be equally great at making serious, beautiful ballads. The band is on the road again to promote “Sky Full of Holes,” their fifth album, released in July 2011.

The band’s two singer-songwriters, Chris Collingwood and Adam Schlesinger, first played together in various bands during their four years at Williams College. After going their separate ways for a few years, the two regrouped in New York City in 1996.

Naming themselves Fountains of Wayne after a local lawn ornament store, the duo recruited guitarist Jody Porter and drummer Brian Young and quickly signed with Atlantic Records, until late 1999.

Their self-titled debut, a treasure trove of fantastic, high-energy, hook-filled songs, brought the band some brief commercial success. The group gained some more critical acclaim with Schlesinger’s Academy Award nomination for writing the hit title track for the film “That Thing You Do!” in 1996 and eventually for their 2003 record “Welcome Interstate Managers.”

The album’s first single was “Stacy’s Mom,” a hit song the band wrote as a tribute to classic power-pop band the Cars. With its retro sound, gigantic hooks and unforgettable chorus, “Stacy’s Mom” was a massive success. Critically lauded yet again, the album was a major commercial break for the band, thanks to the runaway success of its massively popular single.

Although they have not come close to landing another hit as big as “Stacy’s Mom,” the band’s two subsequent albums, 2007’s “Traffic and Weather” and “Sky Full of Holes,” have both given the band career-high chart positions. This steady build in sales is indicative of a growing appreciation for the band’s perfectionist approach. Fountains of Wayne are brilliantly adept at trimming all the fat they can off of songs, leaving behind only the basics of pop rock

“Sky Full of Holes” is the band’s darkest album to date, portraying a raw and serious attitude, much different than their earlier and more playful records. Their latest album has alienated some critics and fans who prefer their spunky power-pop to their more somber ballads. That being said, it also shows another talented side of the performers who are often thought of as one-hit wonders.

Fountains of Wayne will bring 15 years and five album’s worth of catchy pop-rock to the Iron Horse this Thursday. They will be joined by opening act School for the Dead. Tickets are available for $25 in advance, or $28 at the door.

Jackson Maxwell can be reached at jlmaxwell@umass.edu.