Front to Back: Week of Oct. 27, 2014 -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Post: What the FAC -

Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer loses seventh game in a row

In a matchup of winless opponents, something had to give.

Maria Uminski/ Collegian File Photo

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team headed to Ohiri Field on Sunday to take on Harvard with both teams poised and ready to break into the win column.

Harvard was the successful team.

With the game tied at 1-1 in the 80th minute, Kevin Harrington headed in a Ross Friedman corner kick to put the Crimson (1-4-1) on top 2-1. It was a lead that UMass couldn’t overcome.

The 2-1 loss is the seventh in a row for the Minutemen (0-7-1)  and with each defeat the frustration continues to mount.

“The last goal, our defender was pushed down while their player went up and headed the ball in that could have easily been called a foul that wasn’t called and unfortunately cost us a goal and cost us the game,” UMass coach Sam Koch said.

“The bottom line is, referees don’t win or lose games, we do. But, let’s just say he didn’t help us.”

The first half played out evenly, with both sides generating a few good scoring opportunities. After the first 45 minutes, Harvard held a 5-4 shot advantage, but UMass went into the break still tied 0-0.

It took the Crimson only four minutes into the second half to open up the scoring when Phillip Fleischman headed in a Michael Klain throw-in for his first goal of the season.

“The tough thing is, is that you miss those good opportunities,” Koch said. “And as it continues to go, the way we’ve been going, then everyone tenses up that much more.”

But, unlike in its previous losses, UMass evened the score.

In the 62nd minute junior Josh Schwartz found himself in space, took a deflected shot and placed it past the Harvard keeper, tying the game at 1-1.

The goal was Schwartz’s second of the season and only the third of the entire year for the Minutemen. It snapped a 335-minute goalless drought that dated back to a Sept. 8 loss at Vermont and spanned nearly four complete games.

“I thought we had great chances after [Schwartz’s goal],” Koch said. “We had a great chance that we missed in the first half. Again, we’ve done some good things and it’s just one of those things, we’re having a little tough luck.”

The goal was a positive sign for UMass, but with the game still tied, both teams pressed forward.

Like much of the game, both sides responded to the other’s offensive attacks with a counter attack of its own. But it was the Crimson who capitalized on the next opportunity and that proved to be the difference in the game.

The Crimson outshot the Minutemen by a 13-8 margin during the game, the first time since the loss to Vermont that it has failed to crack double-digits in shots.

The Minutemen have a short time to put this loss behind them as they take on their toughest test yet on Wednesday when they travel to Syracuse.

“It doesn’t get any easier,” Koch said. “But, I feel good that these guys are going to be able to compete… But, I think we’re going to be a much tougher opponent for them than what they think and I think this could be a perfect time for an upset.”

The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. at the Orange’s SU Soccer Stadium.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Strohecker.