Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Josh Schwartz paces UMass to first win of season

Through nine games this season, the Massachusetts men’s soccer team only had three goals to its name. Two of them belonged to Josh Schwartz.

On Saturday, he helped the Minutemen nearly double their efforts for the season in just one game, scoring two goals and two assists in UMass’ first win of the season, a 5-2 blowout victory over Siena at Rudd Field.

Nicole Evangelista/Daily Collegian

The junior from Annapolis, Md., was the team’s leading scorer from a season ago, putting a lot of pressure and expectations on the 5-foot, 6-inch forward’s shoulders to lead by example.

“He’s under so much pressure being the captain of ‘Little Nation’ and so he’s got a lot on his shoulders,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “Being the leading goal scorer, he’s got a lot on his shoulders. And he’s probably his own worst enemy. You know, when he doesn’t play well he’s really hard on himself.”

The start to the 2013 season was not how Schwartz pictured it, both individually and as a team, so it comes as no surprise that Saturday’s win removed a big burden from the team,

“It was a big relief to get our first win today,” Schwartz said. “We just played well and finished our chances, finally. Just a good game for us.”

It was Schwartz, one of the team’s offensive captains, who led the way.

He opened the team’s scoring in the 16th minute by playing in a beautiful, curling ball off a corner that found Mark Morris’ foot for the game’s opening goal. Five minutes later, he found himself in space and let loose a shot from 25 yards out that was placed perfectly in the upper left hand corner for a 2-0 lead.

He wasn’t done yet.

In the second half, he once again found himself in the right place at the right time and was left all alone to clean up the rebound off a Matt Keys shot that pushed the Minutemen ahead 3-1.

Then, with the game all but put away, he showed off his crafty passing skills as he slid a pass between two defenders to Connor DeVivo, who finished the play off with the team’s fifth goal of the afternoon.

“I think that we all just came together today,” Schwartz said. “I don’t know if it’s a release of pressure. I mean, there’s never really any pressure. We’re a team. The pressure is on all of us to score. But, I think we really did some good things today, so it’s a good game for everyone.”

But, even when Schwartz doesn’t have the ball on his feet, he manages to create chances for his teammates. As the team’s most dangerous offensive weapon, other players such as Morris have benefitted from the amount of attention that he’s received by opposing defenders.

“It definitely does (take pressure off me),” Morris said. “The defenders don’t all focus on me. It creates open spaces for everyone else on the field and it’s great to have him up there.”

Even with the team’s slow offensive start to the season, Schwartz has maintained his scoring pace from last year. In 18 games last year, he led the team in goals (five) and points (12) and is looking to surpass that total midway through this season.

With his two goal, two assist performance against the Saints, Schwartz has four goals and two assists for 10 points in 10 games. His performance against Siena is the type of effort that Koch knows he can expect out of his leading scorer for the rest of the year.

“Today was a really good day for him,” Koch said. “And when he’s got his head up, he’s a hell of a player.”

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Strohecker.

You must be logged in to post a comment.