Dayton blanks Richmond in A-10 women’s soccer opener

The Dayton women’s soccer team’s Ashley Campbell was named Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week thanks to her performance in the Flyers’ 4-0 win over Richmond on Saturday.

Campbell registered an early goal eight minutes into the game, and she didn’t slow down from there. She registered two more goals, one in the 32nd minute and one in the 48th minute for the hat trick.

Campbell now leads the A-10 in goals with 11..She also leads the league in points (24) and shots (46). Fellow sophomore Nicole Waters had two assists in the game, giving her five on the year.

There wasn’t much excitement on the field for the Spiders, as they had only three shots on goal for the entire game. After the loss, the Spiders (3-6-2, 0-1 A-10) will head home to play Saint Louis on Oct. 4.

Up next for Dayton (6-4-1, 1-0 A-10) is a home date with George Mason on Oct. 4.

URI falls to Fordham

On Sunday, Fordham defeated Rhode Island, 3-1, in both team’s first A-10 game of the season.

Fordham’s Maria Lorena Canicatti started off the scoring with a goal in the 21st minute of play. Canicatti booted a ball from about 10 yards out after a beautiful cross from Ivana Lahcanski.

The lead was short lived for Fordham, however, as URI tied the game just five minutes later. Fordham goalkeeper Ally White missed the chance at a save on a long cross and URI’s Ari Stanton was in perfect position to knock in the loose ball for her first goal of the season.

Fordham came into the second half with noticeable energy. During the 52nd minute of play, the team scored two goals within 20 seconds of each other. The first came off the foot of Kelsey Dougherty Howard, as she scored on a pass from Jessica Widmann. Twenty seconds later, Canicatti found the back of the net for the second time, also from about 10 yards out.

Fordham outshot URI, 12-3, and went on to hold its 3-1 lead for the remainder of the game.

Fordham (3-5-2, 1-0 A-10) will travel to La Salle on Friday for its next game.

With the loss, URI falls to 5-6-0 and 0-1 in A-10 play. Up next for the Rams is a home game against George Washington on Friday.

Noelle Mattessich can be reached at [email protected].