Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

Second-half surge leads UMass to victory over BU

The No. 13 Massachusetts field hockey team scored three unanswered goals in the second half to defeat in-state rival Boston University 3-1 on Sunday afternoon in the final non-conference game of the season.

Robert Rigo/ Collegian

A two-goal performance from junior midfielder Renee Suter led the way for the Minutewomen (9-4), tallying her first collegiate multi-goal game. UMass coach Carla Tagliente was proud of the way her midfielder stepped up and played a crucial part in the victory.

“Renee’s performance was really great today,” Tagliente said. “She hadn’t hit penalty corners for us in quite a while, so for her to step in today and rip off two goals was really outstanding, and it made the difference for us.”

After a scoreless first half, the Terriers (7-4) took the lead just two minutes into the second half, but UMass responded 10 minutes later when Suter scored her first goal of the game to tie it at 1-1.

It was only five minutes later when the Minutewomen took the lead. Suter scored her second goal of the day, both of which came off penalty corners.

“We knew that BU would be a tough game for us, so to come out on top will definitely give us confidence for the upcoming conference games,” Suter said. “We try to chop the season up into different time periods, and we really wanted to win the games over Northeastern and BU so we are really happy we won.”

Despite the game being scoreless at half, Tagliente wanted to make sure her team was still focused and would continue to play tough going into the second half.

“We didn’t change much at halftime, so we just told them to be patient and continue to stick to the game plan,” Tagliente said. “We did have a lot of attacking opportunities in the first half but we just didn’t do anything with the ball, so the second half was much better execution in the offensive end.”

Senior forward Molly MacDonnell scored her fourth goal of the season after adding an insurance goal for UMass in the last few seconds of the game to make it 3-1. Seniors Mel Sutherland and Alexa Sikalis each recorded an assist, as well as freshmen Izzie Delario and Charlotte Verelst.

For Tagliente, the past two games versus Northeastern and BU have been the most important ones so far, regardless of what the rankings say.

“These last two games have been huge for us, and can argue that they were more important to our season than some of our games versus higher ranked opponents,” Tagliente said. “Northeastern and BU are pretty solid teams in our region, and we haven’t beaten them in quite some time, so it is a huge confidence booster for us going into the conference games.

“Going into the [Atlantic 10 play] riding this high coming out of our non-conference play is really great. I’m not sure when the last time was that we won 70 percent of our non-conference games, so moving forward we are in a great position.”

The Minutewomen will look to open up A-10 play with a win this Saturday when they travel to Missouri to take on Saint Louis.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@umass.edu.