Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Second-half surge leads UMass to victory over BU

The No. 13 Massachusetts field hockey team scored three unanswered goals in the second half to defeat in-state rival Boston University 3-1 on Sunday afternoon in the final non-conference game of the season.

Robert Rigo/ Collegian

A two-goal performance from junior midfielder Renee Suter led the way for the Minutewomen (9-4), tallying her first collegiate multi-goal game. UMass coach Carla Tagliente was proud of the way her midfielder stepped up and played a crucial part in the victory.

“Renee’s performance was really great today,” Tagliente said. “She hadn’t hit penalty corners for us in quite a while, so for her to step in today and rip off two goals was really outstanding, and it made the difference for us.”

After a scoreless first half, the Terriers (7-4) took the lead just two minutes into the second half, but UMass responded 10 minutes later when Suter scored her first goal of the game to tie it at 1-1.

It was only five minutes later when the Minutewomen took the lead. Suter scored her second goal of the day, both of which came off penalty corners.

“We knew that BU would be a tough game for us, so to come out on top will definitely give us confidence for the upcoming conference games,” Suter said. “We try to chop the season up into different time periods, and we really wanted to win the games over Northeastern and BU so we are really happy we won.”

Despite the game being scoreless at half, Tagliente wanted to make sure her team was still focused and would continue to play tough going into the second half.

“We didn’t change much at halftime, so we just told them to be patient and continue to stick to the game plan,” Tagliente said. “We did have a lot of attacking opportunities in the first half but we just didn’t do anything with the ball, so the second half was much better execution in the offensive end.”

Senior forward Molly MacDonnell scored her fourth goal of the season after adding an insurance goal for UMass in the last few seconds of the game to make it 3-1. Seniors Mel Sutherland and Alexa Sikalis each recorded an assist, as well as freshmen Izzie Delario and Charlotte Verelst.

For Tagliente, the past two games versus Northeastern and BU have been the most important ones so far, regardless of what the rankings say.

“These last two games have been huge for us, and can argue that they were more important to our season than some of our games versus higher ranked opponents,” Tagliente said. “Northeastern and BU are pretty solid teams in our region, and we haven’t beaten them in quite some time, so it is a huge confidence booster for us going into the conference games.

“Going into the [Atlantic 10 play] riding this high coming out of our non-conference play is really great. I’m not sure when the last time was that we won 70 percent of our non-conference games, so moving forward we are in a great position.”

The Minutewomen will look to open up A-10 play with a win this Saturday when they travel to Missouri to take on Saint Louis.

Jason Kates can be reached at jkates@umass.edu.