Lock Haven remains atop A-10 field hockey

The Lock Haven field hockey team won its seventh consecutive game this weekend with a 4-0 victory over Sacred Heart.

The Lady Eagles’ (10-2) offense came mainly from Nakira Downes and Taylor Kennedy who scored two goals apiece in the win.

Downes found the back of the net in the 16th minute after she snuck the ball past Mary Altepeter on a one-on-one break. Lock Haven wouldn’t strike again until after halftime when Kennedy scored off a penalty corner.

Lady Eagles goalie Elaina White stopped all four Pioneer (4-7) shots that came her way. White has allowed only 1.09 goals per game, to go along with her four shutouts on the year.

Downes and Kennedy each scored late in the second half to seal off the victory.

Lock Haven will travel to St. Francis, Pa., this Friday for its first Atlantic 10 conference game of the season.

Soares scores hat trick in VCU rout

Virginia Commonwealth’s Emilie Soares recorded her second hat trick of the season in an 8-1 win over Appalachian State this weekend. All three of her goals came in the first half against the Mountaineers (2-9).

Soares’ five goals and two assists this week earned her Atlantic 10 Player of the Week honors after she produced a point in each of the Rams’ (6-6) three games this week.

The floodgates opened in the second half as four different VCU players found the back of the net. Alexis Schramm scored twice while Nicola Breeman, Stephanie Demasi and Erika Bienlien all scored once in the last 35 minutes of play.

As a team, the Rams mustered up 26 shots, 16 of which were on goal. Starting goalie Megan Botteri stopped all five shots that came her way, while Kendall Clifton saved two of her three shots after replacing Botteri.

VCU travels to Richmond this Sunday where the Rams will open up A-10 play against the Spiders at noon.

St. Francis holds off Georgetown

Autumn Pellman scored the game-winning goal in overtime as St. Francis (Pa.) defeated Georgetown last Friday.

Pellman weaved her way to the middle of the field where she ripped a shot past Hoyas goalie Rosalie Nolen to give the Red Flash (4-4) the win over the Hoyas (2-9).

Carissa Makea scored the other two St. Francis goals, while goalie Samantha Zeiders recorded six saves in the win.

Georgetown’s Sarah Butterfield evened the game at 1-1 with seven minutes and 10 seconds remaining in the first half. Then the Hoyas’ Molly Denzel sneaked a goal between the legs of Makea on the final shot of regulation to force overtime.

St. Francis will host its first ever A-10 game this Friday when it plays against Lock Haven.

Andrew Cyr can be reached at [email protected], and followed on Twitter @Andrew_Cyr.