Both Minutemen and Minutewomen teams step up in New England Championship

The Massachusetts cross-country team finished in 28th place with 767 points in the New England Championship on Saturday afternoon in Boston.

Leading the charge for the Minutemen was sophomore Miles Hodge, who finished in 85th place out of a field of 279 runners with a time of 25:52.

John Burns posted the second best time for UMass at 26:29 and was followed by Morgan Marlow two seconds later. Burns also set a personal course record by 22 seconds.

Michael Giardina, a junior and the only upperclassman to finish in the top seven for the Minutemen on Saturday, placed 194th overall with a time of 27:01. Sam Burke improved his best time by 1:43. Eric Gironda and Jacob Holscher wrapped up UMass’s top seven.

On Saturday, the Minutemen were without recent Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week winner Blake Croteau and redshirt junior Antony Taylor.

UMass will be back in action this Saturday when they travel to the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational.

Hilliard continues to lead consistent Minutewomen

The Massachusetts women’s cross country team also raced in the New England Championship on Saturday, finishing 11th out of 43 teams with 283 total points.

Rachel Hilliard continued to lead the UMass squad, finishing first on the team with a time of 18:15, coming in 26th place overall. Hilliard has led the Minutewomen in each of their first four meets this year.

Christine Davis had the second best time of 18:28 for UMass, coming in 38th overall.

Alexandra Purdue-Smithe, Katie Powers and Carly Zinner also improved their times, finishing in 18:53, 19:03 and 19:16, respectively. Sarah Barrett (one of four seniors on the team) and Molly McMahon wrapped up the top seven for the Minutewomen. Barrett crossed the finish line with a time of 19:29, followed by McMahon 11 seconds later.

UMass was without Natalie Mako and Heather MacLean once again due to injury.

“When they get back, our team is going to be much stronger and much faster”, Hilliard said last week.

The Minutewomen will next be in action on Oct. 25 when they will compete at the CCSU Mini Meet, the last meet before the Atlantic 10 Championship.

Arthur Hayden can be reached at [email protected].