UMass swimming and diving teams post mixed results over weekend

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams finished with mixed outcomes in each of their season openers against Boston University on Saturday.

The men’s team fell 186-105, while the Minutewomen prevailed, 155-145, behind 10 first-place performances.

For the men, Alessandro Bomprezzi, Wiktor Karpinski and Josh Koppel provided the four first-place finishes for UMass.

Bomprezzi finished first in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:48.06. He also finished in third place in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:59.27.

Karpinski participated in two individual races, coming in first in the 50-yard freestyle (21.52) and second in the 100-yard freestyle (47.53). In total, Karpinski helped the Minutemen gain 17 points.

On the diving board, Koppel, a sophomore, won the 1-meter and 3-meter dives and earned a team-leading 18 points for UMass.

Minutewomen come out on top

The Minutewomen fared much better against their in-state rival on Saturday as they put an end to a streak of seven consecutive defeats at the hands of the Terriers dating back to 2005.

“Being able to come out with a victory was definitely a sign that this team is coming together very nicely,” UMass coach Bob Newcomb said. “It’s early in the year, but (the team) looked strong.”

Zoe Judd, Katie Arnott, Meriza Werenski and Michaela Butler all led the charge for the Minutewomen.

Participating in three individual races and one relay race, Judd contributed a team-leading 33 points for the day. The junior finished in first place in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle and second place in the 200-yard freestyle.

Arnott, a junior, finished first in the 100-yard and 200-yard breaststrokes, and helped lead the 200-yard medley relay team to a first-place finish, along with Judd, Jenna Diamond and Jocelyn Yuen.

Werenski finished first in the 1000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard individual medley. The freshman was also the runner-up in the 500-yard freestyle.

Butler, a senior, broke the school record with a first place score of 336.23 for the 1-meter diving event. She would later also win the 3-meter diving event with a score of 339.23. After the meet, Newcomb said that “she looked great for this time of year.”

“They got together as a team, and to beat BU, you have to do it as a team.” Newcomb said.  “You can’t just do it as the individuals who win the events.”

Despite the victory, the coach said that there is always room for improvement.

“We are in a decent place right now, but it’s decent for October,” he said. “It’s not decent for February, so we have to keep building towards that.”

The next test for UMass will be on Oct. 19 when the men’s and women’s teams return to action on the road against Army.

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at [email protected] and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24