UMass baseball falls to Boston College in a ‘wasted day’ -

Q&A: Jawad Awan, co-president of the Muslim Student Association -

Rally held outside Joint Ways and Means Committee meeting for tuition and fee freezes -

CEPA brings light to student activism at UMass -

Eco-Rep Program brings leadership and sustainability to the classroom -

Divest UMass proves student activism is alive and well -

From textbook prices to clean energy, MASSPIRG fights for many issues -

UMass men’s lacrosse heads into Colonial Athletic Association play with confidence -

UMass track and field set to perform at CCSU Invitational to open spring season -

UMass women’s lacrosse is riding the hot stick of Hannah Burnett -

UMass women’s lacrosse rides winning streak into A-10 conference play -

‘The Salesman’ is an intense drama that deals with contemporary issues -

People’s Market: Independent, cooperative, ‘radical-minded’ -

We voted and they endure: Trump’s effect on the global community -

Why hasn’t the Equal Rights Amendment been ratified? -

Pay for your own round, Mr. President -

Report: UMass men’s basketball set to hire Matt McCall as next head coach -

Community talks education, immigrants’ rights, climate change with state senators -

Q&A: Khalif Nunnally-Rivera, an advocate for access and affordability for underrepresented students -

Plant-Based Nutrition club promotes healthier, sustainable diets on campus -

Minutewomen face stiff competition at regionals

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team competed against some of the best teams in the region at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northeast Regional Championships this past weekend at Harvard.

Julia Cardillo/Daily Collegian

UMass coach Judy Dixon said that her team’s competition consisted of “the best teams in the northeast region” in both singles and doubles play.

Freshman Aarzoo Malik led the pack for the Minutewomen, advancing to the Round of 32 in both singles and doubles play. She won her first solo match against Lauren Frazier of Cornell (6-4, 6-2) before falling to fifth-seeded Jessica Wacnik of Boston College (6-2, 6-3).

The rest of the Minutewomen had mixed success in the singles draw. Senior Sonia Bokhari won her first match, defeating Nicole Chris of Fairleigh Dickinson in convincing fashion (6-1, 6-2) before bowing out to Lexi Borr of Boston College (6-4, 6-1). Arielle Griffin received a bye in the first round only to match up against No. 1 Sol Eskenazi of Pennsylvania. Griffin put up a fight, but eventually lost the match (6-2, 6-3). Senior co-captain Jessica Podlofsky lost to Dorothy Tang of Princeton (6-1, 4-6, 6-2) in the qualifying round.

In doubles play, the Bokhari and Griffin pair faced the seventh-ranked doubles team Katherine Yau and Taylor Ng from Dartmouth and lost 8-2.

The other Minutewomen doubles pair, Aarzoo Malik and Juliana Motyl, advanced to the second round before being knocked out of the tournament.

Dixon has high hopes for Malik and Motyl, who were ranked as the No. 14 doubles team in the tournament, despite being a new pair.

“They’re still a work in progress for doubles,” she said. “It’s a new combination.”

Overall, Dixon was pleased with her team’s performance over the weekend.

“I left the weekend feeling like we passed the test,” she said. “There were all sorts of things to make this a difficult event.”

And with each new challenge, her team is gaining experience.

“Mental toughness comes with more matches,” she said.

According to Dixon, these first few matches have also put the Minutewomen in “better physical condition,” but she acknowledges the constant threat of injury, which is something that the team struggled with at the beginning of the year.

“I’m always nervous,” she said. “Every coach, every team talks about the difficulty of managing tennis as a sport. It’s such a long season … At the moment, we’re injury-free.”

Up next for UMass is its final tournament of the fall season, the Big Green Invitational.

Arthur Hayden can be reached at awhayden@umass.edu.