Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Minutewomen face stiff competition at regionals

The Massachusetts women’s tennis team competed against some of the best teams in the region at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northeast Regional Championships this past weekend at Harvard.

Julia Cardillo/Daily Collegian

UMass coach Judy Dixon said that her team’s competition consisted of “the best teams in the northeast region” in both singles and doubles play.

Freshman Aarzoo Malik led the pack for the Minutewomen, advancing to the Round of 32 in both singles and doubles play. She won her first solo match against Lauren Frazier of Cornell (6-4, 6-2) before falling to fifth-seeded Jessica Wacnik of Boston College (6-2, 6-3).

The rest of the Minutewomen had mixed success in the singles draw. Senior Sonia Bokhari won her first match, defeating Nicole Chris of Fairleigh Dickinson in convincing fashion (6-1, 6-2) before bowing out to Lexi Borr of Boston College (6-4, 6-1). Arielle Griffin received a bye in the first round only to match up against No. 1 Sol Eskenazi of Pennsylvania. Griffin put up a fight, but eventually lost the match (6-2, 6-3). Senior co-captain Jessica Podlofsky lost to Dorothy Tang of Princeton (6-1, 4-6, 6-2) in the qualifying round.

In doubles play, the Bokhari and Griffin pair faced the seventh-ranked doubles team Katherine Yau and Taylor Ng from Dartmouth and lost 8-2.

The other Minutewomen doubles pair, Aarzoo Malik and Juliana Motyl, advanced to the second round before being knocked out of the tournament.

Dixon has high hopes for Malik and Motyl, who were ranked as the No. 14 doubles team in the tournament, despite being a new pair.

“They’re still a work in progress for doubles,” she said. “It’s a new combination.”

Overall, Dixon was pleased with her team’s performance over the weekend.

“I left the weekend feeling like we passed the test,” she said. “There were all sorts of things to make this a difficult event.”

And with each new challenge, her team is gaining experience.

“Mental toughness comes with more matches,” she said.

According to Dixon, these first few matches have also put the Minutewomen in “better physical condition,” but she acknowledges the constant threat of injury, which is something that the team struggled with at the beginning of the year.

“I’m always nervous,” she said. “Every coach, every team talks about the difficulty of managing tennis as a sport. It’s such a long season … At the moment, we’re injury-free.”

Up next for UMass is its final tournament of the fall season, the Big Green Invitational.

Arthur Hayden can be reached at awhayden@umass.edu.

You must be logged in to post a comment.