UMass women’s basketball defeats Saint Peter’s for third straight win -

Celebrity culture could be a part of the problem -

Mulligan’s defense, rebounding helps push Minutewomen past Saint Peters -

Gaudet’s power play goal clinches 2-1 victory over Union for UMass hockey -

The department of Judaic Studies makes a disappointing decision -

The merits of print journalism shouldn’t be overlooked -

Tips to help manage stress during finals -

‘Coco’ is a colorful movie with a refreshing culture -

UMass women’s basketball rolls over Fisher College 121-38 in a record setting affair -

Hailey Leidel catches fire, breaks program record for 3-pointer’s in 121-38 victory over Fisher College -

Hockey Notebook: Jake Gaudet beginning to find his rhythm with UMass hockey -

Pipkins’ scoring outburst leads UMass past Providence -

Second half run leads UMass men’s basketball over Providence -

Students vote ‘yes’ for Student Union renovations -

Writer and Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King speaks at Amherst College -

Warm up your style this season with a trendy hat

With the year’s first snowfall close on the horizon, it’s time to pull those winter clothes out from the back of your closet. Hats are one cold-weather essential that can add warmth and easy style to a brisk day. Thanks to the variety of trendy hats available, adding one can easily pull your whole look together and turn that bundled up, layered look into a fashion statement.

LornaWatt/Flickr

Cozy Beanie

The beanie has a classic, casual look, hugging the front of your head and slouching slightly in the back. It produces a look that is both put-together and relaxed. Beanies are versatile and can be paired with any style of outfit, from casual to polished. You can go for neutral colors, like blacks and grays, or opt for a pop of color with neons. Stores like H&M, Topshop and ASOS have great beanie selections.

Bomber

On the other hand, a bomber hat (also known as a trapper hat) is the ultimate source of warmth. These furry, plush hats are ultra-stylish and cozy, covering your whole head, cheeks and ears with its handy side flaps. The bomber hat is a cute but bold statement piece that you can buy in stores like Macy’s and L.L. Bean.

Floppy

While floppy hats are usually associated with the summer season, they can also work in the colder months as well. Materials such as felt or suede can easily make a beach-ready hat into a more subdued autumn accessory. This wide-brimmed hat works well with bohemian-chic outfits and looks great in fall tones such as browns, reds, burgundies and deep purples. To find this kind of hat, check out Kohl’s, Free People or Nasty Gal.

Pom-pom knit

To rock a festive and adorable look, the pom-pom knit hat is an awesome style to try out. This cozy hat adds a touch of goofiness. It’s a look to sport while cheering at a hockey game or getting coffee in between classes. Popular stores such as Target and Forever 21 sell a variety of knitted pom-pom hats.

Knitted turban

A knitted turban is a chic accessory for the extreme fashionista. This wrap will be sure to turn heads everywhere, whether you are walking to class or out for a night on the town. This hat will keep you warm and also keep your hair in place. Celebrities such as Vanessa Hudgens, Kourtney Kardashian and Nicole Richie have been seen rocking this trend, and it can be found at stores like Urban Outfitters, American Apparel and Anthropologie.

Headbands

If you’re afraid of hat hair and static, knitted headbands are a stylish alternative. This knitted accessory has a touch of feminine flair, perfect for a walk through town or an ice skating date, and some are even accessorized with a bow or knot. While wearing a headband, leave your hair down and loose to create a soft, effortless look. This look can be scored at Topshop and Zappos.

No matter your headwear style of choice, a warm hat will make the transition from fall to winter easier and more stylish.

Lauren Tom can be reached at lktom@umass.edu.

One Response to “Warm up your style this season with a trendy hat”
  1. Hello,

Amazing Post.

Hats can be the key accessory defining our dressing style. The best thing is they can be combined with very different types of clothing. Being very different for men and women, they accentuate the masculine and feminine.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

Keep up the good work.