VIDEO: UMass United Ralley in support of Derrick Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Friday, April 18, 2014

John Ashcroft faces criticism during speech -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Student rally in support of Gordon, LGBTQ community -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thousands gather in Amherst Commons for 23rd Annual Extravaganja -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Sexual violence is not ‘normal’ -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

One year after Boston Marathon bombings, UMass doctor Pierre Rouzier continues passion to help -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Photo Slideshow: UMass United Rally -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Yourself Tested at UMass -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass football continues move in new direction in annual Spring Game -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Library labyrinth targets stress -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

There is nothing to debate about global warming -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass hits the road to take on LaSalle -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

No. 11 UMass women’s lacrosse looks to extend winning streak against Richmond -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive latest McCormack Executive-in-Residence -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Got a little Irish in you? -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass doctoral student awarded Soros Fellowship -

Thursday, April 17, 2014

UMass Dressage Team discusses the lesser-known sport -

Canelas: Things worth watching in Spring Game 2014 -

‘The Walking Dead’ finale resurrects a dull season -

Five places to study at UMass -

Letters to the Editor

To the students:

I was embarrassed by the manner in which you “celebrated” after the Red Sox World Series clinching victory on Wednesday night. You have embarrassed yourselves, your families, the university and its alumni. I was a freshman in 1967 when the Red Sox impossible dream took place and we celebrated in a nonviolent, sensible manner. I hope you will learn from this sad display and show the public that you know how to celebrate the right way.

Al Halpern ‘71

Goffstown, NH

To the editor:

Today I slept in until 10 a.m. Days like this are when I think back to high school and how, at times, it could be an extremely unhealthy environment. Oftentimes I wonder how I was able to wake up so early and function productively five days a week. Reading “Effects of sleep deprivation on teenage brain” (10/22/13) by Elise Martorano took me back to a scarily sleepless four years of my life.

Years ago I heard about school systems swapping the starting times. To keep things consistent and working on time with the bus system, the elementary schools would start first, then the middle school and finally the high school. I remember wondering if this was ever possible in my school system. Of course parents said no and created excuses about it interfering with the after school activities, such as clubs, sports, theater, etc. In order to create a more beneficial learning environment though, school officials need to the put the wellbeing of students before the students’ own busy schedules in order to drastically improve their lives.

Scrolling through my Twitter feed throughout the day, I read breaking news stories of high school shootings, teens committing suicide and more negative news related to teenagers. Unbearable pressure or a tragic event may result in a young person’s emotional breakdown. What if we could eliminate some of their challenges and stressors with just an extra hour of sleep? Who knows, maybe then kids in high school will actually be nice to each other.

Caroline Adler

Amherst, MA

To the editor:

The article “Nev. shooting leaves 2 dead” discusses the recent school shooting in Nevada. After reading the article, I realized our society needs to immediately address these tragedies. The article ultimately fails to address and provide any viable solutions to end these relentless catastrophes.

It seems like every week or so there’s another story about a school shooting. How many lives need be lost for the government to realize that this is a serious problem in our country today? Since 1980, nearly 300 school shooting-related deaths have occurred. To me, those are 300 too many. How is it that a middle school student could so easily obtain a gun and take a life? Parents should not fear sending their children to school and as a 19 year old college student, I should not fear for my life on campus. The government must immediately address these issues before even more lives are senselessly taken.

Garnette Goorahlal

Amherst, MA

To the editors:

Students promoting the Fossil Free divestment campaign appear to have not properly researched the reasons for, or implications of, their campaign. If they had done their homework, they would realize that: (i) today’s climate change is not out of bounds with the natural variability that geologists see in the past; (ii) the idea that dangerous climate change will happen because of emissions from human activities is merely an hypothesis, one that is looking increasingly improbable as science advances and (iii) if dangerous change was happening, then we should increase our use of hydrocarbon fuels, especially coal, the cheapest and most abundant source of power.

In the event of climate problems, however caused, more electricity would be needed to handle greater demands for air conditioning and heating. More power would be required to irrigate lands, build dikes, strengthen public infrastructure and relocate populations living on flood plains or at risk from tornadoes and hurricanes.

Yet the students promote wind and solar power, the least reliable and most expensive options available, instead of our most reliable and cheapest energy sources, hydrocarbon fuels.

Moving away from our strongest power sources because of climate concerns is analogous to a ship captain ordering his crew into lifeboats when a severe storm is approaching. It would be harmful to abandon ship exactly when the protection of a sturdy vessel is most needed. Similarly, it is harmful to attempt to quickly move away from today’s dependable energy sources, no matter what the climate does.

Tom Harris

Ottawa, Ontario

Tom Harris is the executive director of the International Climate Science Coalition, a group of climate change skeptics.

2 Responses to “Letters to the Editor”
  1. Tom Harris says:

The identification of the International Climate Science Coalition (ICSC) as “a group of climate change skeptics” is misleading. ICSC is not skeptical about climate change. Climate always changes on planets with substantial atmospheres, including the Earth. The only constant about climate IS change and so we should help vulnerable people prepare for and adapt to climate change, however caused.

ICSC is, however, skeptical of the popular though misguided notion that the science of climate change is settled in that we supposedly know that carbon dioxide emissions are causing dangerous climate change. All scientifically-minded people should be skeptical about the confident claims of climate campaigners concerning such new and rapidly evolving science.

Tom Harris
    International Climate Science Coalition

2. Alex says:

Yeah, Collegian, what’s up with calling the ICSC “a group of climate change skeptics”? The technical term is “a group of science deniers and conspiracy theorists funded by the fossil fuel industry”.