UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

UMass men’s soccer picks up crucial conference victory

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team is peaking at the right time.

Nicole Evangelista/ Collegian

UMass defeated St. Bonaventure on Saturday, earning its first winning streak of the season after a 2-1 victory. The win improves the Minutemen to 4-3 over their last seven games and vaults the team into sixth place in the Atlantic 10 with nine points.

“They guys played well in a real tough environment,” UMass coach Sam Koch said. “They came through and stayed focused and I couldn’t be more pleased with this group.”

The location of the game was moved to Bradford High School in Bradford, Pa. after poor field conditions forced the Bonnies (8-7-2, 2-3-1 A-10) to relocate. Unfamiliar turf and an extended bus ride between six and seven hours presented an unfamiliar challenge for the youthful Minutemen.

But UMass (4-11-1, 3-3 A-10) wasted no time initiating scoring, as leading scorer Josh Schwartz scored his fifth goal of the season off a feed from Peter Alvarenga in the 19th minute. Just 13 minutes later, Mark Morris corralled a bouncing ball in front of the net and beat St. Bonaventure goalkeeper Jeremy Figler to make it 2-0 Minutemen. Morris’ goal was the result of a corner kick from Connor DeVivo and was his fourth of the season.

“I’m happy for them,” Koch said. “It’s the kind of thing where you work hard on something and you try to keep improving it and you don’t see the results. It’s like studying for an exam for a long period of time and not getting a good grade.

“You need to get a sense that all the hard work is paying off and I think the wins are showing that all [the team’s] hard work is paying off and they’re getting results now.”

The win marked UMass’ first road win of the season, an important victory as it returns home to face both Dayton and Saint Louis in its final two games of the season. Dayton is just a single point behind the Minutemen.

“It’s a slow process, we’re just trying to get better each week,” Koch said. I think we have. We still got things we need to work on. We still made a couple mistakes in today’s game that we have to work on this coming week.”

The Bonnies cut the deficit in half with just three minutes left in the first half on an Emmett O’Connor goal from the top of the box, beating a sprawled out Nick Ruiz. Koch described O’Connor as the “best forward in the conference.” He leads the conference in goals with eight.

Neither team found much offense in the second half with both sides getting off six shots apiece. St. Bonaventure outshot UMass 12-10 and took 15 corner kicks to the Minutemen’s five. Nick Ruiz finished with five saves for UMass

The Minutemen control their own conference tournament fate with one more weekend remaining

“We don’t have to rely on anybody else, we do our job then we’re in the tournament,” Koch said. “You can’t ask for anything more than that.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.