Born Ruffians Stop By NoHo on Worldwide Tour

Renee Barrera/Flickr

Canadian indie rockers Born Ruffians are playing at Iron Horse in Northampton this Tuesday, Nov. 5. Northampton-based band The Sun Parade will open for the Ruffians.

Born Ruffians’s newest effort, “Birthmarks,” was released back on April 16. It marked a change in sound for the band, which heretofore specialized in spare, alt-rock with some punk influences. The album, which received slightly higher reviews than 2008’s “Red, Yellow & Blue” and 2010’s “Say It,” employs heavier synth influences, most prominently on the track “Permanent Hesitation.”

Since their inception in 2004, the Ruffians have drawn upon several influences like Vampire Weekend, while cultivating their own unique sound. “Birthmarks” is perhaps their most experimental effort, with more layered and textured tracks. The sonic blips and beeps of “Birthmarks” are a far cry from the harmonica-kissed favorite “Little Garcon,” or the catchy, looping riffs of “Oh Man” from their previous albums.

According to the Northampton Box Office’s website, the Ruffians enjoyed moderate success with their debut album in 2008. Although fan feedback has been very positive throughout their nine-year tenure, professional reviewers have not always appreciated the Ontario-based band.

The magazine Pitchfork gave a scathing review of 2010’s “Say It,” assigning the band a paltry 3.8 out of 10. Much of that review’s negativity focused on Born Ruffians’ alleged “amateurishness.”

Still, mediocre or even dismissive reviews haven’t held away the band’s fan base. According to iTunes’s page for “Say It,” it holds a solid five-star consensus, greatly contrasting with many professional critics.

The concert on Tuesday will likely feature many of the new tracks from “Birthmarks,” which the Ruffians have just debuted overseas on a European tour. Concert goers can expect to hear their hit single “Needle,” in which lead vocalist Luke LaLonde’s voice sounds like an Ezra Koenig-Robin Pecknold hybrid over a beat right at home on a Vampire Weekend record. Other songs to look for include the caffeinated “Permanent Hesitation,” as well as “Golden Promises,” an almost a dream pop song that recalls Beach House.

The concert also offers an opportunity to catch a local band from NoHo. The Sun Parade will be on at 7 p.m. to open for Born Ruffians. According to their website, they play “homegrown pop and rock,” with warm arrangements that make them an aptly named band.

The Sun Parade recently released their debut LP, “Yossis,” which will appeal to fans of Fleet Foxes and Modest Mouse. A bit heavier than many indie rock groups, The Sun Parade employs synths and prominent bass lines to give their songs texture and depth.

Tickets are available for advance purchase online at iheg.com. Advance tickets cost $12.50. You can also purchase tickets at the door, which will cost $15. Doors open at 7 p.m.

Alex Frail can be reached at [email protected].