Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Chiarelli: UMass has chance to revitalize fanbase

On Sunday, at 3 p.m., the waiting game finally ends.

Evan Sahagian/Daily Collegian

For fans of the Massachusetts men’s basketball team, college basketball purists and those sick of the never-ending preseason hype machine, basketball is finally back. Playing on the TD Garden parquet in front of fans from all over the region should feel like Christmas morning, the culmination of excitement and anticipation.

Yet the focus for many is not the beginning. Instead, it’s the end.

I was sitting with a close friend at lunch one afternoon when the topic of the conversation turned to the state of UMass basketball.

“I’m really hoping to see an NCAA Tournament game this year,” he said unprovoked. It was a harmless statement, but one that’s permeating around campus this season. Now, more than ever, students and fans expect the Minutemen to take that next step and return a program to the highest pedestal of college basketball.

The “college experience” is better when students have something to rally behind. Athletics are an easy choice and offer a common outlet for excitement. UMass is still searching for that as it tries to expand as a national power within the NCAA.

The Minutemen haven’t reached the NCAA Tournament in 15 years. The last time the University produced a legitimate contender in a major sport – football’s 2006 Division 1-AA appearance in the national championship — MySpace was still a rising star in the world of social media.

Through 21 games at the Division I level, UMass football stands at an abysmal 2-21. Just one of those wins came at home and virtually no students partook in the two-hour bus ride to soak it all in. Hockey is in the midst of a changeover and may be another season or two away from truly contending. If not for field hockey, the University’s foothold in the national landscape of collegiate athletics would be virtually nonexistent.

Basketball offers students at UMass and fans in the surrounding region a chance to care, a reason to finally get excited.

This team is plenty talented.

The Minutemen have won at least 20 games the past two seasons while finishing at 9-7 in the A-10 both years. Chaz Williams, one of the program’s most prolific players and a contender for Player of the Year within the conference, is in his senior year and averaged 15.5 points per game a year ago. So too, are Sampson Carter and Raphiael Putney, two critical role players who are no strangers to heavy minutes under coach Derek Kellogg.

“We just know this is our last year,” Putney said before the season. “Last year we just didn’t finish a couple games that we needed to win. So this year we’re more mature and we know what we need to do to win now.”

The team faces high expectations and, to a certain extent, pressure. A year ago, the idea of making noise within the NCAA Tournament was feasible before the season, but it wasn’t until the final weeks of the season that the idea became real.

“I don’t even want to think about the pressure,” Carter said. “We try not to think about any of that.”

Some of that “pressure” is self-inflicted. Unlike last year’s questionable out-of-conference schedule, UMass isn’t holding back. Games against BC, LSU, Florida State and Brigham Young are a conscious effort to play upper echelon talent and prove to the selection committee this team can run with the nation’s best.

“We have to come with a tournament mindset from early,” Williams said. “We’re playing against tournament-like teams so we have to come ready like it’s a tournament game. We can’t come in with (any) mistakes.”

It’s imperative the Minutemen also find an improved version of Cady Lalanne and utilize Derrick Gordon effectively. Traditionally, UMass’ greatest struggles have come within the half-court offense. A traditional, hulking post presence like Lalanne and a dynamic slasher such as Gordon alleviate Williams of carrying the team for stretches at a time.

Ultimately, the current collection of Minutemen won’t be viewed in terms of the usual buzz words like progress or potential. There’s been two years of that. Now, it simply comes down to results. There’s a hunger throughout campus for a winning team to cheer for and a hunger within the locker room to deliver notoriety to a program that’s been missing since the days of John Calipari and Marcus Camby.

“People always try to say, ‘What’s my best attribute or what can I do on the floor,’” Gordon said in early October.

“And I say honestly, a lot of people don’t say it, but I’m a winner. I’m the person that’s gonna do whatever it takes for my team to win.”

The mindset to win is in place, a crucial ingredient for a team set to embark on a pivotal year for the future of UMass basketball. Now, it’s time to produce, time to prove this is a team capable of playing deep into March.

It’s time to dance.

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.

You must be logged in to post a comment.