Another campus sexual assault, this time invisible

Recent news reports inform the public that yet another sexual assault occurred on the University of Massachusetts campus. On Sept. 2, an 18-year-old male student is alleged to have assaulted a female student. Bystanders intervened, police soon apprehended the alleged attacker, who is no longer a student at the University. At least two news reports reveal UMass students’ surprise that the incident took place. After all, the school failed to disclose the alleged crime to the campus community.

The administration declined to send an emergency text notification, and it similarly declined to later release an email to the school. The news report describes student disappointment at the school’s inaction, but if we use the Clery Act to guide our judgment, then UMass acted within reason. This act requires colleges and universities that use federal aid programs to comply with its regulations on addressing campus crime.

On the whole, UMass systematically complies with this act. For example, administrators have devised an emergency response system as well as release an annual crime log.

The Clery Act also requires relevant schools to “issue timely warnings about Clery Act crimes which pose a serious or ongoing threat to students and employees.” Under this requirement, UMass’ actions fall well within legal bounds. Since police quickly caught the alleged sole offender, the incident ceased to pose a threat to the UMass community and thus failed to legally warrant campus-wide notification.

Nothing justifies sexual assault, so we should do all that we can to develop methods that prevent it. One of the easiest ways is for the campus community to engage in dialogue about the topic. When this dialogue occurs, people create and promote suggestions such as the need to increase the number of blue lights on campus or the need to hire more nighttime security. The school’s actions do obey the law, but I suggest that UMass should transcend the bare legal minimum.

I contend that the University should promote discussion about the topic. The administration holds the most power to facilitate dialogue, and it should use its power to improve the campus climate. It still stands that everyone should facilitate this dialogue, but only a few people have the ability to easily send the campus mass texts and/or emails.

By the time students pack their bags for Thanksgiving break, more offenders will surely have committed these horrific crimes. Within recent years, more student victims have come forward with their horror stories. Six cases of sexual assault occurred in 2009: 12 in 2010; 13 in 2011; and 15 in 2012.

I don’t claim that UMass deals with this issue inadequately — on the contrary, our school stands as a leader in higher education regarding confronting sexual violence. The school participates in the Five College Clothesline Project, educates Residential Life staff on the topic and advertises resources such as the Center for Women and Community. It even hosted a regional conference about sexual and domestic violence to more than 100 school administrators earlier this semester.

The administration’s attitude toward sexual violence reveals the school’s already mature approach to an issue that peer institutions often shy away from. However, by improving its response methods now, the University can garner only more constructive responses by the community in the future.

Brandon Sides is a Collegian columnist and can be reached at [email protected].