UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

BC stays atop Hockey East standings, UML falls to Northeastern

Araz Havan/Daily Collegian

In the latest chapter of the Boston College vs. Boston University hockey rivalry, Eagles forward Johnny Gaudreau recorded three points to help BC crush the Terriers 5-1 on Friday night at Agganis Arena.

No. 7 BC (6-2-1, 3-0 Hockey East) struck first nine minutes into the game, when freshman Austin Gangelosi beat BU (4-5, 2-2 HEA) goalie Matt O’Connor from close range to put the Eagles up 1-0.

Gaudreau continued the scoring for BC two minutes later when he gathered a stray puck in front of the Terriers’ net and slid it past O’Connor.

With the Terriers down 2-0 after 20 minutes, Nick Roberto got them on the board early in the second period with a power play goal to cut the Eagles’ lead in half. That was all BU could manage offensively, though, as Gaudreau added another goal and an assist as BC pulled away from the Terriers late to secure the victory.

Eagles freshman goalie Thatcher Demko picked up the win for BC, remaining undefeated to start his college career.

UML winning streak comes to an end

Northeastern earned its first Hockey East victory of the season Saturday night, overcoming an early 1-0 deficit to defeat UMass Lowell on the road 4-2 at Tsongas Center.

The No. 16 River Hawks (6-4, 2-1 HEA) had all the energy at the start and capitalized six minutes, 54 seconds into the game when a shot on goal ricocheted off the post and went right to Adam Chapie, who put it in the open net for an early 1-0 lead.

The No. 18 Huskies (6-3, 1-2 HEA) took the lead late in the first period on back-to-back goals by Kevin Roy and Mike Szmatula, giving them a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes.

Down 2-1, UML’s Derek Roy tied the game up by scoring a power play goal midway through the second period. It didn’t take long for Northeastern to right the ship and regain its lead, as Dalen Hedges scored one minute, 25 seconds after the tying goal to give the Huskies a 3-2 lead heading into the second intermission.

Torin Snyderman added an empty-net goal for Northeastern late in the third period to earn the team its first conference win of the season.

No. 5 PC sneaks by Merrimack

Providence goalie Jon Gillies made 23 saves en route to his second shutout of the season on Friday night, as the No. 5 Friars earned a tough, 1-0 road win at Merrimack.

The only goal of the game came late in second period with the Friars shorthanded. PC (7-1-1, 3-1 HEA) forward Steven McPharland hit Noel Acciari with a centering pass and he beat goalie Sam Marotta on the goal to put his team up 1-0.

The game stayed that way late into the third period, when the Warriors (3-5, 0-2 HEA) received a power play and then pulled Marotta to make it a 6-on-4 advantage. With the two-man advantage, Merrimack pressured PC and Gillies, but the sophomore goalie stood tall and helped preserve the 1-0 win for the Friars.

Marotta made 23 saves in the losing effort, suffering his third one-goal loss of the season.

Jackson Goddard can be reached at jgoddard@umass.edu.