UMass crime alerts reveal reports of lewd acts -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass women’s soccer hopes added depth brings more consistency in 2014 -

Friday, August 22, 2014

UMass mourns death of alumnus and journalist James Foley -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Kassan Messiah, Trey Seals to shoulder pass rushing responsibility for UMass football -

Thursday, August 21, 2014

UMass names Blake Frohnapfel as the starting quarterback -

Monday, August 18, 2014

Decision looms for Mark Whipple as UMass football looks to name starting quarterback -

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Former UMass star Marcel Shipp overseeing a strong running back competition -

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Former UMass basketball star Chaz Williams signs professional contract in Turkey, still eyeing NBA career -

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Minutemen anxious to display aggressive defense -

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

UMass football turns the page, excited for 2014 season -

Monday, August 4, 2014

UMass student struck and killed by vehicle Thursday night -

Friday, August 1, 2014

UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

BC stays atop Hockey East standings, UML falls to Northeastern

Araz Havan/Daily Collegian

In the latest chapter of the Boston College vs. Boston University hockey rivalry, Eagles forward Johnny Gaudreau recorded three points to help BC crush the Terriers 5-1 on Friday night at Agganis Arena.

No. 7 BC (6-2-1, 3-0 Hockey East) struck first nine minutes into the game, when freshman Austin Gangelosi beat BU (4-5, 2-2 HEA) goalie Matt O’Connor from close range to put the Eagles up 1-0.

Gaudreau continued the scoring for BC two minutes later when he gathered a stray puck in front of the Terriers’ net and slid it past O’Connor.

With the Terriers down 2-0 after 20 minutes, Nick Roberto got them on the board early in the second period with a power play goal to cut the Eagles’ lead in half. That was all BU could manage offensively, though, as Gaudreau added another goal and an assist as BC pulled away from the Terriers late to secure the victory.

Eagles freshman goalie Thatcher Demko picked up the win for BC, remaining undefeated to start his college career.

UML winning streak comes to an end

Northeastern earned its first Hockey East victory of the season Saturday night, overcoming an early 1-0 deficit to defeat UMass Lowell on the road 4-2 at Tsongas Center.

The No. 16 River Hawks (6-4, 2-1 HEA) had all the energy at the start and capitalized six minutes, 54 seconds into the game when a shot on goal ricocheted off the post and went right to Adam Chapie, who put it in the open net for an early 1-0 lead.

The No. 18 Huskies (6-3, 1-2 HEA) took the lead late in the first period on back-to-back goals by Kevin Roy and Mike Szmatula, giving them a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes.

Down 2-1, UML’s Derek Roy tied the game up by scoring a power play goal midway through the second period. It didn’t take long for Northeastern to right the ship and regain its lead, as Dalen Hedges scored one minute, 25 seconds after the tying goal to give the Huskies a 3-2 lead heading into the second intermission.

Torin Snyderman added an empty-net goal for Northeastern late in the third period to earn the team its first conference win of the season.

No. 5 PC sneaks by Merrimack

Providence goalie Jon Gillies made 23 saves en route to his second shutout of the season on Friday night, as the No. 5 Friars earned a tough, 1-0 road win at Merrimack.

The only goal of the game came late in second period with the Friars shorthanded. PC (7-1-1, 3-1 HEA) forward Steven McPharland hit Noel Acciari with a centering pass and he beat goalie Sam Marotta on the goal to put his team up 1-0.

The game stayed that way late into the third period, when the Warriors (3-5, 0-2 HEA) received a power play and then pulled Marotta to make it a 6-on-4 advantage. With the two-man advantage, Merrimack pressured PC and Gillies, but the sophomore goalie stood tall and helped preserve the 1-0 win for the Friars.

Marotta made 23 saves in the losing effort, suffering his third one-goal loss of the season.

Jackson Goddard can be reached at jgoddard@umass.edu.