UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Discussion on Palestine incorporates history as well as recent posters targeting SJP -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass set for season finale in Connecticut -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Imagine Dragons deliver nothing but “Smoke & Mirrors” on their second album. -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass student files federal civil rights lawsuit against Amherst police officers after ‘Blarney’ arrest -

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

BC stays atop Hockey East standings, UML falls to Northeastern

Araz Havan/Daily Collegian

In the latest chapter of the Boston College vs. Boston University hockey rivalry, Eagles forward Johnny Gaudreau recorded three points to help BC crush the Terriers 5-1 on Friday night at Agganis Arena.

No. 7 BC (6-2-1, 3-0 Hockey East) struck first nine minutes into the game, when freshman Austin Gangelosi beat BU (4-5, 2-2 HEA) goalie Matt O’Connor from close range to put the Eagles up 1-0.

Gaudreau continued the scoring for BC two minutes later when he gathered a stray puck in front of the Terriers’ net and slid it past O’Connor.

With the Terriers down 2-0 after 20 minutes, Nick Roberto got them on the board early in the second period with a power play goal to cut the Eagles’ lead in half. That was all BU could manage offensively, though, as Gaudreau added another goal and an assist as BC pulled away from the Terriers late to secure the victory.

Eagles freshman goalie Thatcher Demko picked up the win for BC, remaining undefeated to start his college career.

UML winning streak comes to an end

Northeastern earned its first Hockey East victory of the season Saturday night, overcoming an early 1-0 deficit to defeat UMass Lowell on the road 4-2 at Tsongas Center.

The No. 16 River Hawks (6-4, 2-1 HEA) had all the energy at the start and capitalized six minutes, 54 seconds into the game when a shot on goal ricocheted off the post and went right to Adam Chapie, who put it in the open net for an early 1-0 lead.

The No. 18 Huskies (6-3, 1-2 HEA) took the lead late in the first period on back-to-back goals by Kevin Roy and Mike Szmatula, giving them a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes.

Down 2-1, UML’s Derek Roy tied the game up by scoring a power play goal midway through the second period. It didn’t take long for Northeastern to right the ship and regain its lead, as Dalen Hedges scored one minute, 25 seconds after the tying goal to give the Huskies a 3-2 lead heading into the second intermission.

Torin Snyderman added an empty-net goal for Northeastern late in the third period to earn the team its first conference win of the season.

No. 5 PC sneaks by Merrimack

Providence goalie Jon Gillies made 23 saves en route to his second shutout of the season on Friday night, as the No. 5 Friars earned a tough, 1-0 road win at Merrimack.

The only goal of the game came late in second period with the Friars shorthanded. PC (7-1-1, 3-1 HEA) forward Steven McPharland hit Noel Acciari with a centering pass and he beat goalie Sam Marotta on the goal to put his team up 1-0.

The game stayed that way late into the third period, when the Warriors (3-5, 0-2 HEA) received a power play and then pulled Marotta to make it a 6-on-4 advantage. With the two-man advantage, Merrimack pressured PC and Gillies, but the sophomore goalie stood tall and helped preserve the 1-0 win for the Friars.

Marotta made 23 saves in the losing effort, suffering his third one-goal loss of the season.

Jackson Goddard can be reached at jgoddard@umass.edu.