UMass club hockey defeated by Boston College on the road

UMass Club Hockey
UMass Club Hockey

On Friday, the Massachusetts club hockey team traveled to Chestnut Hill to take on Boston College. The game didn’t go as planned for the Minutemen, as they fell 4-2 in their second loss to the Eagles this season.

UMass coach Jamie Magarian believed that “we left the rink knowing we were the better team, but they didn’t win the game, we lost the game.”

The Eagles scored three times in the second period. Magarian said that during the five minutes when BC scored its three goals, the Minutemen broke down on transitions and on defense, which subsequently hurt them.

UMass broke through in the third period when Jared Stone notched the first goal assisted by Brett Mason and Adam Kmetz. The second Minutemen goal was scored by Miguel Rojas and was assisted by Scott Campbell and Mason.

For most of the third period, UMass was shorthanded due to penalties. However, the Minutemen competed with the Eagles in four-on-four play. UMass was penalized for five minutes due to a hit from behind penalty in the frame.

“It should not have been called a major, but it was a hit from behind,” Magarian said.

“In the third period, that did not seem to hurt us, we outskated them with four people on the ice … even their coach at the end of the game stated that they had the priests come in and bless the goal posts and cross bar before the game and it helped out,” he added.

Magarian made it clear that his players didn’t capitalize on countless opportunities. In fact, he stated that “we hit between the post and the crossbar four times and we had a missed penalty shot during the game as well.”

Magarian added that he was told “by fans that two of our goals were believed to be in, though they were called no goals, I heard from parents who were at the game and had a good view that the pucks were in fact in. The goalie pulled them out and the refs were not in position to see it. However that is neither here nor there, it is just unfortunate.”

Looking forward, the Minutemen will work on their offensive zone entries in order to make the most of future opportunities, according to Magarian.

On Friday, UMass will travel to New York University and on Sunday it will play at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Matthew Zackman can be reached at [email protected]