Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ryan Bamford uses online Q&A session to discuss UMass football conference search, renovation plans, cost of attendance -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Opening statements delivered, first witnesses called in second trial for alleged 2012 gang rape at UMass -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

UMass Board of Trustees approves rise in tuition, student fees -

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Former Minutewoman Quianna Diaz-Patterson named to Puerto Rican national softball team -

UMass rowing’s Jim Dietz inducted into CRCA Hall of Fame -

Jury selection begins Monday in second gang rape trial -

Monday, June 15, 2015

Students turn attention to state legislators as decision on UMass budget looms -

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Alumna and next director of Brooklyn Museum Anne Pasternak ‘created her own path’ -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

UMass graduate crowned head of 600-year-old Indian kingdom -

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Committee recommends UMass increase tuition, student fees for in-state undergraduates -

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Darrice Griffin named UMass’ senior associate athletic director for internal operations/senior woman administrator -

Report: UMass football will host Mississippi State in 2016 -

Monday, June 8, 2015

UMass men’s basketball knocks off Nebraska

Before leaving on Tuesday for the Charleston Classic, Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg called the tournament a “business trip.”

While the 96-90 victory wasn’t business as usual for the Minutemen, it definitely took a workman-like effort to knock of Nebraska on Thursday afternoon.

Evan Sahagian/Daily Collegian

“We had to give them everything we had to come away with the victory today,” Kellogg said.

With the win, UMass advances to the semifinals, which will take place on Friday afternoon against No. 19 New Mexico, who outlasted Alabama-Birmingham with a 97-94 double-overtime victory Thursday.

The Minutemen (4-0) rarely trailed in the game, but could never pull away from the Cornhuskers (3-1). After ending the first half up by only three points, UMass came out flying to start the second half, opening up a 10-point lead thanks to a quick 11-4 run in the opening three minutes.

But, as was the case throughout the entire second half, anytime the Minutemen opened up a double-digit lead, Nebraska came storming back.

With eight minutes, 24 seconds left in the game, UMass held an 80-67 advantage, its largest lead of the game. It looked like easy sailing the rest of the way for the Minutemen, but Terran Petteway led the Cornhuskers back into the contest, scoring 11 of his game-high 28 points in the second half before fouling out late in the game.

“He had kind of the green light and got it going”, Kellogg said. “And when that happens, a lot of stuff starting falling for him. The killer was (him shooting) 11-for-12 from the free throw line.”

Nebraska never fully erased the 13-point deficit, getting as close as two points, but clutch free throw shooting down the stretch by Trey Davis, Derrick Gordon and Chaz Williams sealed the game for UMass. The three guards went a combined 5-for-6 from the free throw line in the final minute.

On a day when Williams struggled to find his offensive rhythm, Gordon had a breakout performance for the Minutemen.

He entered the game averaging only eight points a game, but exploded for a team-high 20 points, including 13 in the second half.

“At the end of the day, as long as we win, it wouldn’t matter if I would’ve had 10 points or eight points or whatever,” Gordon said. “At the end of the day, I’m glad that we just won the game. I just wanted to do whatever it took, whether it was on the defensive end, rebounding, taking a charge, getting a steal, whatever. I’m just happy that we got the ‘W.’”

Senior Sampson Carter and junior Cady Lalanne also continued their strong starts to the season, as each player recorded 16 and 15 points, respectively. Williams wound up with 10 points on the game, giving UMass four players in double-figure scoring.

“I always knew those guys were capable of doing that,” Williams said of his teammates. “It’s a brotherhood, and I lean on those guys just as much as they lean on me. In games like tonight when I’m in foul trouble, I look for those (guys) to step up and they did a great job tonight.”

UMass opened up the game on an 11-5 run through the first four minutes, but saw that lead quickly erased by the Cornhuskers. The two sides alternated leads throughout the remainder of the half, until the Minutemen took a 40-39 lead with one minute, 24 seconds left. From that point forward, UMass never trailed and took a 42-39 lead into half.

Tip off for Friday’s semifinal matchup is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @P_Strohecker.

You must be logged in to post a comment.