Trio of second period goals leads Maine to 3-1 win over UMass hockey -

Prince Hall flood over winter break -

Minutemen look to avoid three straight losses with pair against Vermont -

Men’s and women’s track and field open seasons at Dartmouth Relays -

Turnovers and poor shooting hurt UMass women’s basketball in another conference loss at St. Bonaventure -

Shorthanded, UMass men’s basketball shocks Dayton with 62-60 win -

Northampton City Council elects Ryan O’Donnell as new council president -

UMass power play stays hot but Minutemen lose 8-3 to UMass Lowell -

UMass hockey falls to UMass Lowell in 8-3 blowout -

UMass hockey falls short against Yale in 5-3 loss Friday -

Otis Livingston II, George Mason drop UMass men’s basketball 80-72 -

UNH tops Northeastern in Hockey East action

Nicole Evangelista/Daily Collegian

The No. 3 Providence hockey team won its fifth straight game Saturday night, as it shut out Vermont 3-0 at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

The Friars (9-1-1, 5-1 Hockey East) snuffed out the Catamounts’ attack, limiting them to just 23 shots on net. Jon Gillies was there to stop all of them for PC, as he picked up the win in net, which was his eighth of the year.

The first goal of the night didn’t come until the six-minute mark of the second period, when Friars forward Steven McParland picked off a UVM pass behind the net and quickly fed Ross Mauermann in front. He converted and PC took the 1-0 lead. Less than three minutes later, Nick Saracino blasted home a slap shot from between the dots to increase the lead to 2-0. Late in the third, Kevin Rooney added another goal to provide the final goal of the night.

It was a trying weekend for the Catamounts (3-5-1, 2-4 HEA), who also lost 3-2 Friday night to the Friars. They’re now 1-4 in their last five games and have been shut out twice in that span.

UNH tops Northeastern

New Hampshire completed a dominating weekend against Northeastern, winning Saturday night at Whittemore Center by a final score of 4-1.

It was an all-around team effort that saw 10 different Wildcats record points, and Trevor van Riemsdyk led the way with two assists. Casey DeSmith picked up the win in net, stopping 31 shots.

The game was scoreless after a first period that actually saw Northeastern outshoot UNH (6-5-1, 4-2 HEA) by a margin of 12-6. But the Wildcats struck twice in the second period with two goals just 40 seconds apart, as Nick Sorkin and Casey Thrush each scored to give UNH a 2-0 lead.

Kevin Roy scored early in the third to bring the Huskies (6-5, 1-4 HEA) within one, but that was as close as they would get. The Wildcats added insurance goals from Matt Willows and Grayson Downing to seal the victory.

UNH was led by its outstanding power play, which went 3-for-4 on the night, including two goals in the third period. The win wrapped up a home-and-home sweep for the Wildcats, as they beat Northeastern 3-0 on Friday night in Boston.

Irish shut out Merrimack in first home HEA contest

Playing in its first home Hockey East contest in school history, No. 6 Notre Dame didn’t disappoint the home crowd, thrashing Merrimack 4-0 on Friday night.

Fighting Irish goalie Steven Summerhays stopped 31 shots, and Peter Schneider scored twice to power the Notre Dame offense.

Summerhays carried the Irish (8-3-1, 2-1-1) in the first period, when the Warriors outshot them by an 11-3 margin. Notre Dame got its offense going in the second period, when Ali Thomas and Schneider each scored to make it 2-0. They added two more goals in the third period, coming from Mario Lucia on the power play and Schneider again with an empty netter.

Merrimack (3-6-1, 0-3-1) has struggled against ranked teams this season. The Warriors have a record of 0-5-1 against teams ranked in the NCAA’s Top 20.

The two teams played again Saturday night, with a more positive result coming for Merrimack, as the two sides skated to a 2-2 tie.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at rossgienieczko@gmail.com.