UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Quiet beauty roars in ‘Lion’ -

UMass men’s basketball wins Charleston Classic

Courtesy Daniel Malone/MassLive.com

Many writers with votes in the Associated Press Top 25 poll have a decision to make regarding the Massachusetts men’s basketball team Monday morning.

On Sunday night, in the championship game of the Charleston Classic, UMass did its best to make that decision an easy call.

The Minutemen (6-0) barely defeated Clemson, 62-56, building an early lead and ultimately holding off a pesky Tigers comeback. The performance punctuated a successful three games in four nights stretch for UMass, which knocked off No. 19 New Mexico and Nebraska to reach the title game.

“It’s tiresome looking at the wall and not seeing any new [trophies] other than the ones from when I played,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said on bringing hardware back to Amherst. “I mean, I’m tired of those things. I want to throw them in the garbage and start our trophies as a coach and team. So, that feels great.”

Clemson cut the deficit to 59-56 with just 56.4 seconds remaining. But a Raphiael Putney putback layup off a Chaz Williams miss bumped the lead to 61-56, allowing the Minutemen to hang on.

The Tigers launched a comeback in the second half squared primarily on the shoulders of forward Devin Coleman, who scored 10 points in just eight minutes of play. But a helter-skelter final two minutes filled with turnovers and missed shots eventually fell UMass’ way.

The Minutemen relied heavily on junior center Cady Lalanne, who’s off to a remarkably consistent start to the season and won Charleston Classic Most Valuable Player. Lalanne dominated in the paint, leading all scorers with 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds on his way to his fourth double-double of the season. He provided a dependable low-post presence, which the Minutemen went to in bulk in the half-court offense.

“It felt pretty good,” Lalanne said. “I felt like we put in the work over the summer to get to this level, to this point. So, it felt pretty good that we won the tournament, and I’m honored to be MVP.”

UMass won without a typical performance from Williams, who scored just four points on 1-of-12 shooting from the field. Williams struggled to get shots off around the basket and deferred to a role of facilitator, accounting for a team-high six assists.

Instead, the team turned to role players such as Derrick Gordon and Putney. Gordon finished with 10 points on 5-of-8 shooting while adding five rebounds. Putney was tasked with guarding Tigers star forward K.J. McDaniels, who entered the game as Clemson’s leading scorer. McDaniels finished with 14 points, but missed 10 shots in the process.

“I’ve been trying to say it all year, but our team is full of guys that just want to win and want to play,” Williams said. “So, these guys are taking the opportunity that’s given and just going out there and performing. For us to go out there and do what we did tonight, it’s pretty good.”

Now, conversation will turn to UMass’ fixture in the national college basketball landscape. The Minutemen haven’t been nationally ranked since 1998 and have as strong a case as any to find their way back into the rankings after winning six games in a row to start the season.

“People are gonna think what they think,” Williams said. “It’s just best to play our game, so that’s what we’re gonna go out there and do. I know we’re probably gonna have a number at the end of [our team name], but it still doesn’t change the way we play. We’ve just got to stick to our basketball.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.

One Response to “UMass men’s basketball wins Charleston Classic”
  1. alumer says:

If the polls weren’t so corrupted with boosterism and favoritism our ranking would be higher. Notice that UMass didn’t even break the top 25 on the most corrupt poll – the coaches poll. Our boys need to keep scrapping and believing to get respect. Fans need to show some loyalty and pride.

Go UMass!