URI wins first game of season, GW falls to SEC foe

George Washington Athletics

The Rhode Island women’s basketball team won its first game of the season Friday, defeating the Detroit 70-59 in the first game of the FAU Thanksgiving Tournament.

Detroit (2-6) battled with the Rams (1-6) in a first half marked by 11 lead changes, but ultimately fell short of Rhode Island’s attack.

The Rams controlled the game by dominating the boards, outrebounding Detroit 54-36, including 16 offensive rebounds.

Titans senior Senee Shearer finished with 21 points, including five 3-pointers while junior Ellisha Crosby scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.

Rams senior Kerry Wallack finished with a season-high 13 points and 12 rebounds, making for her second career double-double. Sophomore Brianna Thomas added 10 points of the bench.

Rhode Island’s win halted a five-game losing streak.

The Rams will take the road again to compete with Brown Wednesday at 7 p.m.

GW stomped by Bulldogs

George Washington fell to Georgia 80-60 in the first game of the Georgia State Invitational on Friday.

The Colonials (4-2) competed early on, but the Bulldogs could not be contained as they used an 18-2 run to secure a 33-15 lead with five minutes, 47 seconds remaining, which carried to a 40-23 halftime advantage.

GW looked strong in the second half, shooting nearly 45 percent, but Georgia (7-0) continued to be efficient on offense, shooting 49.2 percent the entire game.

Freshman Hannah Schaible played a solid all-around game for the Colonials with nine points, six rebounds and three assists.

Lady Bulldog Tiaria Griffin scored a game-high 19 points, including 4-of-8 shots from 3-point range. Khaalidah Miller, Halle Washington, Shacobia Barbee and Erika Ford finished in double figures with 14, 12, 11 and 10 points respectively.

George Washington faces Georgetown on Tuesday at 8 p.m..

VCU stars earn honors

Virginia Commonwealth defeated Wagner 87-61 on Sunday afternoon, sweeping the Atlantic 10 women’s basketball awards in the process. Senior Robyn Parks was named the league’s Co-Player of the week while freshman Isis Thorpe was awarded Rookie of the Week honors.

The duo played a key role in the Rams (5-1) victory over the Seahawks. Parks finished the night with a double-double, leading all scorers with 24 points and a game-high 15 rebounds. Teammates Iris Thorpe and Monna Finney-Smith added 13 points each.

VCU took charge of the game with a 24-3 run to open the second half, giving it a 67-42 lead with just over 10 minutes to play.

Taylor Butigian was the high-scorer for the Seahawks (1-5) with 14 points. Wagner shot 50 percent (12-of-24) from the floor and tallied a season-high 13 assists.

Robert Acer can be reached at [email protected]