UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

UMass men’s basketball’s offense firing at efficient levels

Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg didn’t want the question, or his subsequent answer, to be confused.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

When asked about the early success of UMass forwards such as Sampson Carter, Raphiael Putney and Maxie Esho, Kellogg immediately redirected the wayward question toward the production of point guard Chaz Williams.

“It’s a combination, I think they’re playing well because of Chaz and I think Chaz is playing well because of them,” he said.

“That’s when you have kind of a nice mix, he’s making it easy on them, let’s not kid ourselves. He’s doing a good job of getting those guys some easy baskets but they’re finishing them, they’re making plays.”

Williams sports a 3-to-1 assist to turnover ratio, a statistic which undoubtedly appreciated his 15-assist performance against Brigham Young University on Saturday. UMass as a whole is shooting 47.8 percent from the floor and 37 percent from 3. The offensive efficiency has translated into 84.5 points per game, good for 24th in the nation in scoring.

But the Minutemen’s offensive outburst reaches far beyond its diminutive catalyst. All five starters continue to average double-digit scoring while getting almost seven points per game from both Esho and Trey Davis off the bench.

UMass continues to evolve, finding different ways to break down a defense. Saturday’s dismantling of BYU’s 2-3 zone defense to the tune of 105 points was the most recent example.

The Minutemen utilized its deepest position on the roster, the swing forward position, to break down the zone. Putney hit two early 3-pointers. When the defense extended, Esho camped out near the free throw line while Carter roamed the baselines.

“I thought Putney’s 3s got the zone stretched out a little bit which opened up the zone for Maxie,” Kellogg said. “And then Chaz just got on one of those runs which was kinda out of character to a certain extent to shoot the ball the way that he did. When you have those, you take them and say thank you and move on to the next game.”

In years past, UMass hasn’t offered the proficiency in the shooting department. The Minutemen have never shot better than 43 percent under Kellogg and relied more on speed and athleticism. But according to Ken Pomeroy of the college basketball statistics website kenpom.com, UMass’ adjusted offensive efficiency rating is 113.3 per 100 possessions, good for 22nd in the nation out of 351 teams. The statistic takes into account offensive efficiency against what would be considered an “average” Division I defense.

“We’re making shots against the zone and they have to spread out a little bit more and cover the 3-point line,” Carter said. “So with them doing that, they leave the middle and sideline open. We’re always going to need players to be aggressive from the sideline and middle.”

So far, the wings are holding true to script. Esho’s come alive in the paint, using a quick dribble-drive to finish around – and usually above – the rim. He’s shown a knack for grabbing rebounds as well, averaging 5.4 rebounds in just over 20 minutes per game.

Putney’s hitting 3-pointers at a 39 percent clip while factoring in around the rim as well, pulling in 5.4 rebounds. In his senior season, he’s worked on improving his shot selection. With Carter adding 13.8 points per game and generating offense in transition, the trio is excelling.

“We’ve been here a long time together,” Carter said. “Us three – me, Raphiael and Maxie – have an unbreakable bond.”

With Williams effectively leading the offense and Cady Lalanne averaging 15 points and 10 rebounds per game, both opportunity and space has opened up for others within the offense. And that’s just the way Carter envisioned it for himself and his fellow forwards.

“We’re the three-headed horsemen of the team,” Carter said referring to Putney and Esho. “I think dominating the three, four and five, dominating those positions is crucial.

“As long as we keep dominating inside and out, I don’t think any team can handle that.”

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.