UMass chancellor suspends use of student confidential informants -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Only a freshman, Matthew Mooney provides valuable minutes for UMass men’s soccer -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fox’s new ‘Red Band Society’ could be important if it wasn’t misguided -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The SGA can’t fix problems without students’ help -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Minutewomen look for improved offense, steady defense in A-10 play -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Safe Passage provides services for survivors of domestic violence -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A fruity, creamy berry Irish Fool recipe -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass women’s soccer battles Harvard to a draw -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMatter at UMass campaign tackling problem of alcohol and drug abuse -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass to implement new electronic security sign-in system -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

With conference play under way, UMass looks to get on track -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Depth, chemistry powers UMass club hockey -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hader and Wiig give a beating heart to ‘Skeleton Twins’ -

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass hockey battles finals, Colgate this week

The Massachusetts hockey team had little time to relish in its victory over Notre Dame on Saturday – its first win in over a month – because its next big test was only a couple days away.

Final exam week.

Alex Aritan/Daily Collegian

It’s a particularly stressful time for students. Late nights studying and 10-page papers lead to little sleep over the course of the week, and the only thing keeping them sane is the five-week break that follows.

Student-athletes are no exception, and it has made for a particularly big challenge for UMass coach John Micheletto as his team tries to prepare for its weekend series at Colgate.

The Minutemen held all optional practices this week, and as of Wednesday had yet to have full participation on the ice. But through years as a coach and as an educator, Micheletto knew he had to plan ahead.

“I guess we’re just trying to deal with it head on,” he said. “My experience over the years is it’s gonna be different so you better embrace it and talk about it and understand what the difficulties and obstacles are gonna be. That’s how we’ve dealt with it and are gonna continue to deal with it.”

While the Minutemen’s main focus has been on academics this week, Micheletto also stressed the importance of players keeping their bodies healthy throughout the week because there are still games to be played on Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

“We need to do the best we can to mind on our nutrition, which is really really important this week, even if your sleep isn’t that good or your schedule is different,” Micheletto said. “You’re staying up later than normal studying for exams so you gotta make sure that your nutrition is solid and you’re keeping hydrated throughout the course of the week. Hopefully we keep our legs going throughout the course of the week and try not to overstress the mind with hockey stuff.”

UMass isn’t the only team that has gone through this type of struggle. Teams across the nation, including Colgate, are going through the same obstacles as their respective opponents as the fall semester comes to a close.

Given the mental struggle that both teams have endured this week, one may think that both sides are in for a pair of sloppy contests this weekend. But Micheletto said he’s also seen it as a release for the players, leading to some exciting hockey.

However, he hasn’t ruled out the possibility for an ugly game when the puck drops at 4 p.m. Saturday in Hamilton, N.Y.

“I think there’s always that potential, yeah,” Micheletto said. “I’ve seen it both ways. I’ve seen it be unbelievable games because guys are just letting it go at that point and it’s sort of the last kick at the can for guys before the break. There’s been other times when teams haven’t been able to get their legs or their minds aren’t very sharp.”

With three non-conference games in four days coming up before the 10-day winter break, UMass is hoping for some positive momentum to close out the unofficial halfway point of the season. But it’s not essential. Last season UMass lost its last three games before the winter break, including two at home against Colgate, but came out of the two-week layoff with a pair of wins at Dartmouth in the Ledyard National Bank Classic.

“I think it’s always better (to end on a positive note),” Micheletto said. “But regardless of the way it turns out anything is possible moving forward. It’s all part of the mental approach.”

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.