Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

MTV’s seemingly controversial new show proves to be ‘Faking It’ -

UMass hockey’s three-game winning streak snapped by Denver

The Massachusetts hockey team has a much-needed 10-day holiday break coming up, but that’ll be a long time to think about the opportunity it let slip away Tuesday night.

Cade Belisle/Collegian

Trailing 3-2 to start the third period, the Minutemen failed to score on a two-man advantage that included a five-minute major penalty, and ultimately lost to Denver 5-3 in front of a snowed-out crowd of 428 at Mullins Center.

The loss sends UMass (6-12-2) into the unofficial midway point of the season on a down note. But Tuesday’s effort combined with the three-game road winning streak entering the break have the Minutemen feeling optimistic despite the disappointing record.

“I think overall with the way that we’ve played – the process of it – I’m happy. There’s probably three nights that I wasn’t” UMass coach John Micheletto said. “Other than that I’m happy with the way the guys have approached things, gone about our business. I’m certainly not happy with the results that we’ve gotten or the record as it sits right now.

“I like where we’re at right now in this last little run and hopefully we’re able to, even despite the break, springboard these last four or five efforts into the second half.”

The Minutemen appeared to have swung momentum in its favor in the final seconds of the second period when Conor Sheary went on the breakaway and was denied by Denver goaltender Sam Brittain’s pad, but drew a slashing penalty from Joey Laleggia. Josiah Didier followed with a five-minute major and game misconduct for an unsportsmanlike penalty after the whistle that gave UMass a full two-man advantage with a one-goal deficit entering the third period.

The Minutemen had plenty of opportunities to tie the game in that five-minute stretch. Ray Pigozzi hit a post and other pucks came Brittain’s way, but UMass failed to convert and was forced to spend the final 15 minutes of the game trying to recapture momentum from the Pioneers (10-6-3).

Instead, Denver’s Trevor Moore and Daniel Doremus scored one minute apart with less than five minutes left in the game to deflate the Minutemen’s chances.

“We executed plays like we wanted to, we just didn’t put one home like we wanted to,” Sheary said of the 5-on-3. “That was definitely the goal to get at least one to tie the game with the 15 minutes that would’ve been left. We didn’t do that, and when they got the fourth goal it kind of put us down a little bit more.

“It’s definitely a missed opportunity, 5-on-3′s are hard to come by.”

Denver used the break between the second and third period to strictly to discuss defending the upcoming two-man disadvantage. Pioneers coach Jim Montgomery emphasized the importance staying in shooting lanes and not letting passes get through their defensive triangle.

It worked.

“It was huge,” Montgomery said. “You could feel the energy from our bench after we killed off the 5-on-3. We still had three minutes to go of 5-on-4, but our penalty kill has been excellent all year long.”

Denver jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead one minute, 20 seconds into the game when Gabe Levin’s shot from in front of the net was deflected by a UMass stick and out of the reach of goaltender Steve Mastalerz’s (13 saves) glove.

The Minutemen tied the game at 1-1 at the 9:38 mark of the first period on a power-play goal assisted by Adam Phillips and Steven Iacobellis. It was one of two goals Tuesday night for Power, who is now tied for second on the team in points (13) this season.

Ty Loney put the Pioneers back in the lead 3:35 into the second period on a spinning backhand goal from the slot off a feed by Laleggia that beat Mastalerz blocker side to make it a 2-1 game.

Denver doubled its advantage less than five minutes later when Moore’s wrist shot from in front zipped past Mastalerz for his team-high seventh goal of the season.

But UMass found a spark 16:44 into the second period when Michael Pereira’s shot from the slot was deflected, leaving a loose puck up for grabs that Sheary put past Brittain glove side to cut the Pioneers advantage to 3-2.

The Minutemen are off until Dec. 29 when they take on Quinnipiac in Hartford, Conn., on the first night of the UConn Hockey Classic.

Nick Canelas can be reached at ncanelas@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @NickCanelas.