UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

FSU hands UMass men’s basketball its first loss of the season

And just like that, the winning streak is over.

Playing in its last game before the Christmas break, the No. 22 Massachusetts men’s basketball team gave Florida State an early gift on Saturday, shooting just 35 percent from the field and committing 20 turnovers in a 60-55 loss in the first game of the MetroPCS Orange Bowl Classic in Sunrise, Fla. It was the Minutemen’s first loss of the season.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

“I didn’t think we executed down the stretch,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said in a radio interview following the game. “I thought we had three guys do a couple things that were just out of character; a shot that you’re not accustomed to taking or a drive into two bigs.”

All season long, the Minutemen (10-1) have closed games with that one run to pull away late and seal a victory. On Saturday, the Seminoles (8-3) gave them a taste of their own medicine.

Trailing by three points with three minutes, 33 seconds left in the game, Florida State went on a 10-2 run to take the lead and put the Minutemen away for good.

UMass looked like it cut the Seminoles’ lead to only one point with four seconds left on a Cady Lalanne dunk, but it was waved off for offensive goaltending after Lalanne hung on the rim. Florida State hit two free throws on the next possession, putting the game out of reach for the Minutemen.

“We didn’t make some plays that we’re used to making,” Kellogg said. “I don’t know if it was their size, athleticism, length, what it was… we just had one of those days.”

The game was tightly contested from the start, with both sides trading leads. UMass held the largest advantage of the game at five points early in the first half when it was 11-6, but an 11-4 Seminoles run erased that deficit.

From that point forward, the lead never reached more than four points in a game that, at times, felt more like a heavyweight boxing match than a mid-December college basketball game.

“The game didn’t really have a lot of flow,” Kellogg said. “It was kind of like an old-school, backyard brawl type of deal where the game never really, totally got moving. When it did, I thought we were in good shape and when it became more of a half-court grudge match, which was most of the contest. I thought we struggled to score because of their size and physicality.”

Prior to the loss, the Minutemen were averaging 83.9 points per game and routinely had five guys in double-digit scoring. On Saturday, UMass was held to well below its season average in scoring and only had three guys reach double figures on offense.

Derrick Gordon led the Minutemen with 12 points, while Lalanne and Chaz Williams each recorded 10.

Despite the loss that could see UMass drop out of the national rankings come Monday, Kellogg is still excited about where his team is heading into the Christmas break.

“Anytime you can be 10-1 and go home and spend some time with your family, I think that’s a good place to be,” he said. “We’re just shooting for the stars. I’m disappointed. I thought we could be 11-0 going home for the holidays and coming back with Providence. The one thing with this team is that I honestly feel that we can win every game.”

The Minutemen have a week off before returning to action next Saturday against Providence at Mullins Center.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @P_Strohecker.