SGA outlines plan to involve students in proposed IT fee process -

Thursday, May 28, 2015

UMass ultimate frisbee reflects on national quarterfinals run -

Monday, May 25, 2015

Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

FSU hands UMass men’s basketball its first loss of the season

And just like that, the winning streak is over.

Playing in its last game before the Christmas break, the No. 22 Massachusetts men’s basketball team gave Florida State an early gift on Saturday, shooting just 35 percent from the field and committing 20 turnovers in a 60-55 loss in the first game of the MetroPCS Orange Bowl Classic in Sunrise, Fla. It was the Minutemen’s first loss of the season.

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

“I didn’t think we executed down the stretch,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said in a radio interview following the game. “I thought we had three guys do a couple things that were just out of character; a shot that you’re not accustomed to taking or a drive into two bigs.”

All season long, the Minutemen (10-1) have closed games with that one run to pull away late and seal a victory. On Saturday, the Seminoles (8-3) gave them a taste of their own medicine.

Trailing by three points with three minutes, 33 seconds left in the game, Florida State went on a 10-2 run to take the lead and put the Minutemen away for good.

UMass looked like it cut the Seminoles’ lead to only one point with four seconds left on a Cady Lalanne dunk, but it was waved off for offensive goaltending after Lalanne hung on the rim. Florida State hit two free throws on the next possession, putting the game out of reach for the Minutemen.

“We didn’t make some plays that we’re used to making,” Kellogg said. “I don’t know if it was their size, athleticism, length, what it was… we just had one of those days.”

The game was tightly contested from the start, with both sides trading leads. UMass held the largest advantage of the game at five points early in the first half when it was 11-6, but an 11-4 Seminoles run erased that deficit.

From that point forward, the lead never reached more than four points in a game that, at times, felt more like a heavyweight boxing match than a mid-December college basketball game.

“The game didn’t really have a lot of flow,” Kellogg said. “It was kind of like an old-school, backyard brawl type of deal where the game never really, totally got moving. When it did, I thought we were in good shape and when it became more of a half-court grudge match, which was most of the contest. I thought we struggled to score because of their size and physicality.”

Prior to the loss, the Minutemen were averaging 83.9 points per game and routinely had five guys in double-digit scoring. On Saturday, UMass was held to well below its season average in scoring and only had three guys reach double figures on offense.

Derrick Gordon led the Minutemen with 12 points, while Lalanne and Chaz Williams each recorded 10.

Despite the loss that could see UMass drop out of the national rankings come Monday, Kellogg is still excited about where his team is heading into the Christmas break.

“Anytime you can be 10-1 and go home and spend some time with your family, I think that’s a good place to be,” he said. “We’re just shooting for the stars. I’m disappointed. I thought we could be 11-0 going home for the holidays and coming back with Providence. The one thing with this team is that I honestly feel that we can win every game.”

The Minutemen have a week off before returning to action next Saturday against Providence at Mullins Center.

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @P_Strohecker.

You must be logged in to post a comment.