Letter to the editor: Roe v. Wade anniversary

Michelle Williams/Collegian File Photo
Michelle Williams/Collegian File Photo

To the editor,

Today marks exactly 41 years since Roe v. Wade made legal abortion the law of the land. Yet politicians across the country continue to chip away at access to abortion. In the past three years alone, more abortion restrictions have been put into law than in the entire previous decade.

This concerted effort by politicians, whose goal is to eliminate all access to safe and legal abortion, is unacceptable.

My generation simply won’t stand for it. Six in 10 young Americans believe abortion should be available in all or most cases, and 68 percent of those who live in metropolitan areas believe it should be available in their own community.

That’s why I’m a member of Planned Parenthood Generation Action. Generation Action is a diverse movement of young people who are organizing across issues to achieve reproductive freedom. Here at the University of Massachusetts I work with VOX: UMass Students for Reproductive Justice to educate our community and advocate for sexual and reproductive health and rights. Now, more than ever, it is critical that our voices are heard.

On this 41st anniversary of Roe v. Wade, VOX: UMass Students for Reproductive Justice reaffirms our commitment to the fight for reproductive freedom. In that fight, we dedicate ourselves to addressing diverse issues like poverty, immigration reform, queer rights and racial justice that are all deeply connected to the fight for reproductive justice.

The only way we can make progress is if we stand together.

Paul Gels

Boston, MA

Co-President

VOX UMass: Students for Reproductive Justice