UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day three: Ex-quarterbacks A.J. Doyle, Andrew Verboys continue transitions to new positions -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

UMass football fall camp day two: Defensive secondary hopes experience, added depth brings greater consistency -

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

UMass basketball to face Richmond

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

Maria Uminski/Daily Collegian

The No. 13 Massachusetts men’s basketball team can finally turn its full attention to conference play.

The Minutemen (16-1, 3-0 Atlantic 10 Conference) briefly opened their conference schedule earlier this month with victories over Saint Joseph’s, St. Bonaventure and George Mason. But an out-of-conference road date and eventual 84-74 victory over Elon on Saturday interrupted UMass’ journey through the conference gauntlet.

With the non-conference aspect of their schedule finalized, the Minutemen return to the road for the third straight game Wednesday to face a familiar foe in Richmond. The Spiders (12-6, 2-1 A-10) recently defeated Dayton 73-64 at home and own a 7-2 home record on the season.

“I’m sure they’re going to be up for our game and it will be a nice packed house like always,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “It’s going to be a tough one.”

The Minutemen defeated the Spiders a year ago 70-65 in a game influenced heavily by defense. Over the final six minutes of play, UMass allowed Richmond to score just two points while going on an 11-point offensive run late in the game to pull out the victory.  And while the rosters aren’t quite the same, defensive intensity will play a large part in deciding the outcome on Wednesday.

Through 18 games, the Spiders are allowing just 65.4 points per game to opponents on 40 percent shooting in addition to forcing 14.6 turnovers per game. They traditionally play a matchup zone.

“Their defense right now is what’s keeping them where they are,” Kellogg said. “I guess they lead the league in field goal percentage defense and that matchup zone. So we have to be proficient on the offensive end and don’t let that lead to easy baskets for them. I think that’s where teams have gotten hurt by them.”

For UMass, the task will be to maintain consistent defensive pressure despite having the ability to change schemes. Kellogg noted that he’s experimented with multiple variations of zones and man-to-man defenses, a commodity as league play continues.

“When league games come and these teams are scouting and doing some stuff, you gotta make sure you’ve got a whole arsenal of different ways to come at them,” Kellogg said.

Richmond is led by strong guard play. Senior point guard Cedrick Lindsay is scoring 19.1 points per game this season while chipping in 4.2 assists per game. His running mate, junior guard Kendall Anthony, is averaging 13.3 points per game.

Minuteman guard Chaz Williams echoed his coach’s sentiments, saying that getting defensive stops opens up the rest of the game for the team. If the team can string together stops, especially in the second half, it has a good chance of finding success.

“Our offense feeds off our defense a lot,” Williams said. “Sometimes our defense creates turnovers that lead to easy offense.”

The Spiders have traditionally fared well at home against ranked opponents – they have beaten four of their last five ranked foes. UMass jumped ahead to 13th in the Associated Press Top 25 this week, the first time the team has been ranked within the Top 15 since 1995-96.

“You know, the guys are playing pretty hard and I’m enjoying being around them if that’s worth anything,” Kellogg said despite adding he wasn’t sold on the ranking. “I’m not sure that makes us 13 or not, there’s a lot of good teams out there.

Williams knows that other teams are taking stock of the Minutemen’s rise in the national spotlight.

“We feel like every game is going to be a huge test for us because the name’s that on the front of our jersey,” Williams said. “We just have to come prepared every day, we feel like if we come prepared and play UMass basketball nobody can compete with us in the country.”

Wednesday’s game at Robins Center will take place at 7 p.m. and can be watched online on ESPN3 and the Atlantic 10 Digital Network.

Mark Chiarelli can be reached at mchiarel@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @Mark_Chiarelli.

One Response to “UMass basketball to face Richmond”
  1. boyd enstall says:

& where on campus/at which venue can a fan watch the game?