Students and staff discuss racial and social inequality following Ferguson decision -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

UMass hockey falls to Vermont, 3-1 -

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No indictment for Ferguson cop -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Chancellor addresses campus regarding grand jury decision in death of Michael Brown -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Northern Illinois hangs on against Ohio, Hunt carries Toledo to victory -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SGA passes 10 motions at meeting Monday night -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Students and UMPD work together during the annual ‘Walk for Light’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘Conscious Consumer’ talk promotes business sustainability -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey looks to rebound against Vermont following Saturday’s blowout at home -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass women’s soccer’s Sverrisdóttir balances a soccer career between two different countries -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

‘First Demo’ provides a fascinating glimpse of Fugazi in its infancy -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My mental illness does define me (to an extent) -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

How to master multitasking -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

One Direction hints at newfound sophistication on ‘Four’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

TV on the Radio sounds rejuvenated on ‘Seeds’ -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass men’s club soccer fundraises its way to Memphis -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass hockey takes accountability and seeks redemption against Vermont on Tuesday -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Large group of males tries to forcibly enter a Hobart apartment over the weekend -

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

UMass forward Zach Coleman excels in increased role against Florida State -

Monday, November 24, 2014

SLIDESHOW: Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament -

Monday, November 24, 2014

UMass basketball in midst of grueling A-10 schedule

Taylor C. Snow/Daily Collegian

Taylor C. Snow/Daily Collegian

It’s no secret that once conference play begins in college basketball, the schedule becomes every team’s biggest enemy.

Teams have very few days off and usually play twice, sometimes three times a week. But, mix in the idea of having five out of six games on the road and that’s exactly what the Massachusetts men’s basketball team is dealing with.

UMass kicked off Atlantic 10 Conference play on Jan. 8 at home against Saint Joseph’s. It then followed that game with another home contest against St. Bonaventure. Then the Minutemen hit the grueling stretch of games that could wind up defining their season.

Beginning with George Mason on Jan.15 and ending with this Saturday’s game at the Hawks, UMass will have played six games in a span of 18 days with five of them on the road. Even for an experienced team like the Minutemen, that many road games can be hard to overcome.

“Five out of your six on the road is always a tough schedule, especially in a league like ours,” UMass coach Derek Kellogg said. “We’re just trying to stay the course. Really, worry about one game at a time and I think we’ve done a decent enough job of just staying day-to-day and not worrying about the prize that may be at the end of the tunnel.”

Traveling comes as part of the job for UMass, but even for a guy like Sampson Carter, who’s done it now for the better part of five seasons, it’s something that is tough to get used to.

“You can’t really get used to it,” he said. “Honestly, it’s a different type of game at home and on the road.”

The stretch of games was broken up into two separate road trips, the first being a three-game trip down south to Virginia and North Carolina and then these next two games being played in New York and Philadelphia. In between was a brief stop back at Mullins Center where the Minutemen routed Fordham by 38 points.

While it was nice for UMass to come back home and play in front of a sold out crowd, the stop wasn’t long enough for Kellogg and the Minutemen.

“I would’ve like a longer pit stop,” Kellogg said. “It was really just put your feet down in your own bed and your own house for a night and then move on to the next one. It’s a tough stretch, but every team in the country is going through a similar stretch at some point.”

Consistently playing on the road over the course of three weeks is enough of a challenge, but on top of that, UMass now knows that it’s going to get each team’s best challenge now that it’s in the national spotlight.

“Everywhere we go, everyone just wants to beat UMass because we have a name to us now,” freshman Seth Berger said. “So to be on the road is really hard because playing in another gym is never easy and conference games are never easy.”

So far the Minutemen have lived up to the challenge of the grueling schedule. They went 3-1 in the first four games of this six-game stretch including 2-1 on the road. With the final two stops coming against two teams that it narrowly beat earlier in the season, UMass knows that these games will show what exactly it’s made of.

“This is going to be a great test,” Carter said. “They’re going to show our toughness, our leadership skills. It’s going to show how we can fight adversity together.”

Patrick Strohecker can be reached at pstrohec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @P_Strohecker.

One Response to “UMass basketball in midst of grueling A-10 schedule”
  1. Ozi Sander says:

Really well written.