UMass women’s basketball loses close contest to Rhode Island

Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian
Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian

The score was closer than usual, but the result was still the same, as the Massachusetts women’s basketball team lost to Rhode Island 73-64 on Wednesday.

For a team that has lost 13 straight games and has been losing by an average of nearly 21 points, a loss by nine points might not seem so bad. The Minutewomen (3-20, 0-9 Atlantic 10) were also only down 40-32 at the half against URI after falling by as many as 21 in the first half of their last game against George Washington.

But UMass coach Sharon Dawley still thinks the team could have done better.

“I actually wasn’t happy after the first half. We shouldn’t have been down eight at all,” she said. “We gave up 40 points (in the first half) to a team that averages 54 (points per game).”

Kallie Banker led the scoring for the Rams (7-16, 2-8 A-10) with 19 points. URI held the advantage on the boards 43-33, including a 12-6 advantage on offensive rebounds that led to 13 second-chance points.

Dawley said that if the team is really going to improve, it has to start by improving its rebounding.

“It’s really no question,” she said. “It’s got to start with boxing out.”

Rashida Timbilla, however, was strong on the boards for UMass, finishing with a team-leading 13 rebounds to go along with five points and four assists. Jasmine Harris and Emily Mital led the team in scoring with 13 points each, and Harris added seven rebounds.

Harris said the team played pretty well in this game, but it needs to bring its best performance throughout the entire contest.

“We had some good moments and some bad moments,” she said. “It’s about sustaining it for the full 40 minutes of the game.

“So I think if we would’ve put the hard work and effort that we played for a little over half the game for the full 40 minutes, we would’ve come out with the win today.”

Harris added that once the young players on the team become more experienced, they will bring that sustained performance.

“I think the more mature we grow as teammates, learning how we play on the floor together, be able to play for a full 40 minutes knowing that your teammates are behind you.”

The Minutewomen will return to the Mullins Center on Saturday to host St. Bonaventure. Tipoff is set for noon.

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at [email protected] and can be followed on Twitter @jgms88.