Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse holds on for win against UConn

Cade Belisle/Collegian File Photo

Cade Belisle/Collegian File Photo

In a rematch of last year’s NCAA Tournament first round, the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team once again defeated Connecticut with a 7-5 road win on Saturday.

They’re one of the top teams out there and they have tremendous coaching, fantastic players and I think they’re going to do really big things this season,” UMass coach Angela McMahon said. “So for us to come out of there on the road with a win, where they are very good at home, definitely makes it special.”

McMahon, who was the head coach for UConn for two years prior to leaving for UMass in 2010, downplayed the idea that Saturday’s win in Storrs, Conn., had any extra meaning.

Anytime you get a win over such a quality opponent, no matter who it is, it makes it special,” McMahon said.

After giving up the game’s first goal, the Minutewomen (2-0) took a commanding 5-1 lead into halftime led by senior attacker Katie Ferris’s two goals and two assists.

Ferris, who broke UMass’s all-time record for goals on Feb. 9 at Vanderbilt, now has a team-leading six goals and six assists for the season.

She was able to get good looks in terms of feeding the ball,” McMahon said. “UConn was playing a zone defense that we were able to get our passing game going and because (Ferris) has such great field vision she was able to find the extra person.”

Like McMahon, Ferris also has a connection with the Huskies, as she was recruited by McMahon when she was at UConn, but followed her coach to Amherst in 2010.

It feels good to beat them,” Ferris said. “You want to win every game, but it just meant a little bit more considering there are ties with all of us there.”

The Huskies quickly cut the lead to 5-2 in the second half with a goal from senior midfielder Lauren Kahn.

After UMass senior attacker Sam Rush scored her second goal of the game to extend the lead back to four goals, Kahn scored three straight to cut the Minutewomen’s lead to 6-5 with 12:40 left in the game.

According to McMahon, Kahn, who was named Big East midfielder of the year last season, was a primary concern heading into Saturday’s game.

(Kahn) carried their team (Saturday),” McMahon said. “She wanted to win, she’s such a fierce competitor, and she just does everything whether it’s draws, goals, or creating turnovers.”

She’s always looking to make a play and I think (Saturday) shows how badly she wanted it.”

Ferris also acknowledged the performance of her scoring counterpart.

Good players step up when they have to, and she definitely did that,” Ferris said. “All we needed to do was figure out how to stop her, because she had a great game (Saturday).”

Ultimately, the Minutewomen did stop Kahn over the final thirteen minutes, as an insurance goal on a free position shot by junior midfielder Ellie Bullitt sealed the victory for UMass.

McMahon praised the defensive performances of junior goalkeeper Rachel Vallarelli and sophomore midfielder Kate Farnham.

Vallarelli, who finished with seven saves in net, “came up with tremendous saves on shots that really should have been goals,” according to McMahon. She added that Farnham was effective in coming up with ground balls, forcing turnovers and providing “relentless pressure” on defense.

There were a lot of situations where we were turning the ball over too much and those two made big plays on defense,” McMahon said.

UMass returns to McGuirk Stadium to play Holy Cross in its home opener on Tuesday at 3 p.m. 

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.

You must be logged in to post a comment.