UMass students came together to Stand Against Racism -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass baseball gets swept in four-game road trip to Florida Gulf Coast -

Monday, April 27, 2015

of Montreal and Toro y Moi to co-headline Pearl Street this weekend -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass administrators exploit and disrespect graduate students -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Bike Racing Club brings energy and excitement to bike racing -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Sonic Youth’s ‘Bad Moon Rising’ still stands as crucial career turning point -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises past GW on Senior Day -

Monday, April 27, 2015

How to stay sane during the long summer -

Monday, April 27, 2015

UMass softball drops pair of games against first-place Dayton -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Take Back the Night event raises awareness about sexual violence -

Monday, April 27, 2015

Demetrius Dyson to transfer from UMass basketball -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse falls to Delaware 10-9 in regular season finale -

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Brett Anton stands tall against UMass men’s lacrosse, Minutemen stumble into playoffs -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse cruises toward regular season A-10 championship with win over Richmond -

Friday, April 24, 2015

UMass softball hits the road for big test at Dayton -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Long-time campus radio host banned from WMUA, status of station adviser unclear -

Friday, April 24, 2015

Celebrating 125 years of the Daily Collegian -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

SGA expresses support for Survivor’s Bill of Rights -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass blanked by Boston College in Beanpot Championship -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Second annual yogathon stresses Earth Day ideals to individuals -

Thursday, April 23, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse holds on for win against UConn

Cade Belisle/Collegian File Photo

Cade Belisle/Collegian File Photo

In a rematch of last year’s NCAA Tournament first round, the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team once again defeated Connecticut with a 7-5 road win on Saturday.

They’re one of the top teams out there and they have tremendous coaching, fantastic players and I think they’re going to do really big things this season,” UMass coach Angela McMahon said. “So for us to come out of there on the road with a win, where they are very good at home, definitely makes it special.”

McMahon, who was the head coach for UConn for two years prior to leaving for UMass in 2010, downplayed the idea that Saturday’s win in Storrs, Conn., had any extra meaning.

Anytime you get a win over such a quality opponent, no matter who it is, it makes it special,” McMahon said.

After giving up the game’s first goal, the Minutewomen (2-0) took a commanding 5-1 lead into halftime led by senior attacker Katie Ferris’s two goals and two assists.

Ferris, who broke UMass’s all-time record for goals on Feb. 9 at Vanderbilt, now has a team-leading six goals and six assists for the season.

She was able to get good looks in terms of feeding the ball,” McMahon said. “UConn was playing a zone defense that we were able to get our passing game going and because (Ferris) has such great field vision she was able to find the extra person.”

Like McMahon, Ferris also has a connection with the Huskies, as she was recruited by McMahon when she was at UConn, but followed her coach to Amherst in 2010.

It feels good to beat them,” Ferris said. “You want to win every game, but it just meant a little bit more considering there are ties with all of us there.”

The Huskies quickly cut the lead to 5-2 in the second half with a goal from senior midfielder Lauren Kahn.

After UMass senior attacker Sam Rush scored her second goal of the game to extend the lead back to four goals, Kahn scored three straight to cut the Minutewomen’s lead to 6-5 with 12:40 left in the game.

According to McMahon, Kahn, who was named Big East midfielder of the year last season, was a primary concern heading into Saturday’s game.

(Kahn) carried their team (Saturday),” McMahon said. “She wanted to win, she’s such a fierce competitor, and she just does everything whether it’s draws, goals, or creating turnovers.”

She’s always looking to make a play and I think (Saturday) shows how badly she wanted it.”

Ferris also acknowledged the performance of her scoring counterpart.

Good players step up when they have to, and she definitely did that,” Ferris said. “All we needed to do was figure out how to stop her, because she had a great game (Saturday).”

Ultimately, the Minutewomen did stop Kahn over the final thirteen minutes, as an insurance goal on a free position shot by junior midfielder Ellie Bullitt sealed the victory for UMass.

McMahon praised the defensive performances of junior goalkeeper Rachel Vallarelli and sophomore midfielder Kate Farnham.

Vallarelli, who finished with seven saves in net, “came up with tremendous saves on shots that really should have been goals,” according to McMahon. She added that Farnham was effective in coming up with ground balls, forcing turnovers and providing “relentless pressure” on defense.

There were a lot of situations where we were turning the ball over too much and those two made big plays on defense,” McMahon said.

UMass returns to McGuirk Stadium to play Holy Cross in its home opener on Tuesday at 3 p.m. 

Anthony Chiusano can be reached at achiusano@umass.edu and can be followed on Twitter @a_chiusano24.