Kanye West’s debut turns 10

Kanye West at the 47th Annual Grammy Awards Nominations on Dec. 7, 2004. West won Best Rap Album for "College Dropout" that year. (lde)
Kanye West at the 47th Annual Grammy Awards Nominations on Dec. 7, 2004. West won Best Rap Album for “College Dropout” that year. (lde)

As “The College Dropout” turns 10 years old, it is time to review and reflect on the artist that has given us great music over the years, Kanye West.

West can be viewed as narcissistic, arrogant and rude, but those same personality traits are what have given us classic albums that his fans have come to love and still listen to today. But all that music could not have been created without the creation and influence of West’s debut album, “The College Dropout.”

“The College Dropout” can be defined in one word: breathtaking. West’s use of skits both enhances the overall feel of the album and brings some humor to the album as well. One of the most thought-provoking ideas West presents in his skits are his thoughts on education, and how a man became so obsessed with college degrees that he ultimately leaves his family with nothing. It shows in a musical sense that education is nothing without a career or an idea to pursue.

Throughout the album, West raps about numerous topics. These include religion, personal trauma, education and the luxuries of fame, and each of them bring a different perspective to the album.

One of the most interesting tracks on the album is “Through the Wire,” which was recorded while West had his mouth wired shut due to injuries stemming from a car accident. The track shows amazing and clever lyricism, but most importantly it shows determination against all odds, an ideal that West continues to demonstrate and utilize today.

Possibly the most thought-provoking song on the album is its last song, appropriately titled “Last Call,” which paints a picture of West’s rise to the top for the listener. It’s amazing to hear that one of the biggest names in hip-hop today had such a hard time establishing himself as a rapper back then. It just goes to show that some things happen for a reason.

Ten years and six albums later, West has become one of the biggest, if not the biggest, name in hip-hop. Many of his albums are renowned as classics, and he draws both criticism and praise for the style that he chooses for each album. The best part about West’s catalog is that no two albums sound the same. Each album is created with a unique theme or idea. For instance, “808s and Heartbreak” utilized the auto-tune voice modulator and the Roland TR-808 drum machine to the fullest, while 2010’s “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” utilized aspects of soul, electro and symphonic sounds to talk about themes of race, egotism, emotional trauma and his idealism on the “American Dream.”

In the media, West is typically portrayed as a villain, a hot head whose mouth is constantly getting him in trouble. But in the studio, West is a genius. His utilization of unconventional samples, music styles and lyricism will make him a name that will continue to be recognized long after he stops making music.

West is a rare artist who reaches new pinnacles with each new album he releases, and “The College Dropout,” 10 years later, has proven to be the strong starting point of one of the most influential discographies in 21st century music.

Andrew Kratochwil can be reached at [email protected].