SGA funds two clubs, appoints new senators in Tuesday meeting

The Student Government Association met Monday evening, approving motions to fund the UMass volleyball and paintball teams’ trips to national tournaments and appointing two new members to the Senate.

The SGA unanimously approved the appropriation of $5,000 for the UMass volleyball team’s trip to the national tournament in Reno, Nev.

In another unanimously approved motion, the Senate allocated $2,870 to the UMass paintball team to cover the costs of competing in a national competition in Lakeville, Fla. The UMass paintball team is No. 19 in the nation, out of a total 60 squads, since its inception in 2012.

Senators Kendall Tate and Tom Sheerin were, in a third motion, approved to fill the previously vacant Southwest North Senate seats.

The Senate also approved a motion to allocate $35,000 in excess funds for the renovation of the SGA office in the Student Union. The project includes creating a separate conference room and more workspaces for senators.

President Zachary Broughton announced that Interim Vice Chancellor Enku Gelaye has informed him of the beginning of a new committee that will focus on discussing workplace bullying. The committee will include eight students, which have yet to be chosen.

Eric Bosco can be reached at [email protected].