UMass field hockey pulls off thrilling overtime victory against Northeastern -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Kicking competition between Blake Lucas, Mike Caggiano nearing decision -

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Adam Liccardi found guilty in UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jackson Porter adapting well following switch to wide receiver -

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass baseball eager to start season

Rehan Talat/Daily Collegian

Rehan Talat/Daily Collegian

Here in snowy Amherst, it’s hard to imagine that baseball season is near. In fact, when you look outside and see the two-plus feet of snow on the ground, it’s almost impossible to envision the crack of a bat or the pop of a catcher’s mitt.

But down in Cary, N.C., the weekend forecast calls for sun and 70 degree temperatures.

And that’s where the Massachusetts baseball team will open up its 2014 baseball season. With a three game series against Army, UMass will get its first chance to put a forgettable 14-31 record in 2013 behind it.

There are several ways to look at that season. One would be to look strictly at their record and declare the season a failure. Another is to look at the Minutemen’s 7-14 record in one- and two-run games. As any statistician will tell you, this indicates that they were victims of some pretty bad luck. A couple breaks, and that record in close games could easily be reversed.

Nobody is predicting that UMass will completely turn its record around, but some better luck and a solid returning cast means that there could be some improvement.

“I’m excited about the experience we have coming back in our lineup,” UMass coach Mike Stone commented. “Everybody worked hard in the offseason, and we have some freshmen who have come in and established themselves.”

The Minutemen bring back several of their top hitters from last season. Third baseman Nik Campero hit .305 and tied for second on the team with nine doubles. Outfielder Adam Picard hit .300, bashed four home runs and had 31 RBIs. First baseman Dylan Begin also hit four homers and led the team in slugging at .476.

On the mound, right-hander Andrew Grant and lefties Conor LeBlanc and Aaron Plunkett all return after throwing at least 60 innings each last season.

One player who notably won’t be returning is second baseman Rob McLam. After leading the team last year with 55 hits and a .311 average, McLam will be sitting out the season with a medical redshirt as he recovers from a torn ACL.

“Rob was our best hitter the past two years,” Stone said. “We’re going to miss him.”

Stone said that Picard or Begin will likely occupy the third spot in the batting order, where McLam started all 45 games last year.

On the other side of the injury front, the Minutemen will get redshirt junior outfielder Kyle Adie back after he missed the entire 2013 season. Adie stole 16 bases in 16 attempts in his last full season and scored 25 runs, good for second on the team.

“Kyle is an exciting player with lots of speed,” Stone said. “He makes things happen at the top of the lineup.”

UMass starts the season on Saturday against an Army team that has already played its first series of the season. The Black Knights went 1-2 against William & Mary last weekend.

The series kicks off Saturday at noon with sophomore Brandon Walsh getting the start for UMass. Ryan Moloney will start the second half of the doubleheader at 3 p.m.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at rgieniec@umass.edu and followed on Twitter @RossCollegian.